1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

so...what's your bonds play look like?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by king cranium maximus IV, Aug 5, 2007.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Yeah, a look at all our coverage area's athletic departments. 2 colleges, 13 high schools. The two colleges out front, the 13 high schools were spread over four inside pages.

2. Sounds good. How long have you guys been working on it?

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

It kind of served a dual purpose. I've got two brand new sportswriters, so I divided up the schools between them and sent them on their way. Plus, we're working on our football tab, so it was a way to kill two birds with one stone. It got us a decent Sunday package that took different angles on different departments, plus the new guys got to meet the ADs at the schools they'll cover.

They've been working on it essentially for two and a half weeks or so. It wasn't anything fancy, just a good solid selection of stories. And in my tiny town in S.C., I wasn't about to decrease our local presentation for Bonds tying the mark. Now, when he finally does hit the damn thing out to break the record, we'll CP it and all that good stuff.

4. well done, sc

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bonds went below the fold. Michael Irvin entering the HOF was the day's big story.

Bonds and A-Rod went side-by-side below that.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Replaced a canned Bonds-related column we had stripped across the top with the 755 story. Didn't change the CP this time.

We've got another canned column for when he breaks it, and we'll blow up the CP and everything else when he does.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

Our front from last night.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Well done. Wish we had a graphics person to do some good stuff like that.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We don't have a graphics person. The ASE did this page. His one for if/when Bonds breaks it is even better.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

He did an outstanding job. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

11. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

Looks awesome.

We played it with a wild art teaser in the bottom right hand corner, with a story inside. All our front page was local, and it's my belief that when he breaks it will be a bigger deal.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Well, we had James in a nice black tuxedo, holding his traditional martini - shaken, not stirred, scantily clad Bond girls at his side leaning against a trendy sportscar with the Kremlin in the background.

Who's this steroid-infested villain everyone is talking about? I don't recall that movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted