1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what's everybody doing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I do feel VERY lucky to have married a woman who is about to finish her schooling for her R.N. It makes me feel secure in life when I am associated with a person who will ALWAYS make three times I do in a secure job.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I've has similar thoughts. Maybe not religion and philosophy, but teaching of some form. Maybe get my master's in communications or English.

Peepul alwayz gotsa no how tu rite guud. [/dumbjoke]

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm going back to school in the fall. Hoping I can stay employed until I'm finished.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Atta boy, for planting your heels, looking at your career horizon and acting on what you see.

Now, my question is: Of all the things you can do in life and all the things you can "be," why do you want to be a lawyer?

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

For those who say it might be better if they get laid off, I'll have to disagree. I lost my job a few weeks ago and things are going to be really rough for me and my family for a while. The longer you can stay employed, the closer you'll get to the rebound of the economy. It won't help you in newspapers, but it'll help with other employers. Being out of a job now is like being marooned on a deserted island.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm registered for classes this summer and fall, but I'm getting more and more gunshy about it.

Everytime I think about how much it's going to cost me, in total, for a new degree, I think "If I can come up with that much money in the next two years, I can just save it and Mrs. Stain and coming-in-August Little Stain can make the downpayment on a house instead of renting a two-room apartment."

7. azom

azom Member

Grad school. Eventually, teaching.

8. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

See that's part of my dilemma: I don't necessarily want to be a lawyer.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wife said something a little heartwarming the other day:

"If we have to, we can live in the house you grew up in in Tennessee."

No one's living in it now. Who knew it could be a lifeboat?

Took her there when we visited family (and got married) in December. She loves the mountains. I like the idea of selling my house here for $250,000, paying only a pittance there in property taxes and insurance (no hurricanes!) and rolling over my $250,000 401(k) into an IRA that Sam Fucking Zell can't touch.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would love every second of being a lawyer. I just don't want to pay for law school.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm always seeing movies and TV shows where the bad guys are going to abscond and start new lives with the $250K or $300K they score in their latest crime. So you're way ahead of them, BT, because you've got housing checked off your list. Of course, they're usually planning to set up housekeeping in Mexico or Costa Rica, so they have that going for them.

Seriously, though, that's a pretty damn good start, assuming you could find some sort of work to just pay your monthly bills from that point on. Pretty nice nest egg. Congrats!

12. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

If you get a good enough LSAT score you won't necessarily have to pay for law school. I got a pretty decent one (above 160) and have had two full-ride offers. There are a lot of scholarships out there.

I'm doing the law school thing in the fall and couldn't be more excited and re-invigorated.

Draft saved Draft deleted