1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, what was the holdup? Or I just started watching The Wire.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I just stumbled across a Fresh Air interview with Michael K. Williams

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18299087

2. I saw it On Demand as well, so I almost started to rewatch it ... this has me ready to do so. Best show on TV (or, well, it was).

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The wife is a big fan of Slim Charles.

For those starting to watch in on OnDemand, the trouble is you never know whether or when they're going to put up the next episodes. They could show the first season for a month and leave you hanging. I've noticed various periods of "Oz" are on there with no apparent pattern.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Over the course of the fourth and fifth seasons I loved watching Michael Lee. He was such a great character.

Slim was a great character, I would love to have a voice like that dude.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Wire? Real good, but its no Death Wish III.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Since my man DD hasn't been along, just yet:

We are police. So no lies between us. He wasn't the greatest detective. And he wasn't the worst. He put down some good cases and he dogged a few bad ones. But the mutherfucker had his moments. Yes, he fucking did. You remember the Mississippi extradition? The arson murders? He brought that case home. And the triple? At the after-hours over on Hudson Street? That was Ray Cole at his best. And Fayette Street in 93. The drug wars. He took a lot of hot corners and cooled them. Yes indeed. He won as much as he lost. Much as any of us. Did he piss off a wife or three? No fucking doubt. I think the last one actually kind of got used to him, thank god. Did he say the wrong shit now and then? Did he bust balls and cheat on his taxes and forget to call his mother and fuck the wrong broad for the wrong fucking reason, every now and then? Who fucking doesn't? Christ. Was he as full of shit as every other sad sack mutherfucker wearing a badge of Baltimore City Police? Ab-sa-fucking-lout-ly. His shit was as weak as ours, no question. But Ray Cole stood with us. All of us. In Baltimore. Working. Sharing a dark corner of the American experiment.

He was called. He served. He. Is. Counted.

Old King Cole.

The Cadillac stood by the house, and the Yanks, they were within...

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Just finished season one. Holy cats, that's a good show. Never had HBO, since that would have doubled my cable bill at one point in my life, then lived near the edge of the grid for a while.

Anyone else notice when McNulty is angry, Dominic West's English accent slips out a bit? And I find it cool that there's a dialect consultant in the closing credits.

Taking a three-movie break with Netflix, then diving into season two.

Now all the sig lines and posters (Omar Dont Scare, Jimmy McNulty, They fuck up, they get beat...) make sense to me.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ok, ok, you folks have raved enough. I just added and bumped it to the top of my Netflix list. Damn you all for giving me more things to watch on television.

9. YEAH! DUCKY HAS FLIPPED! SUCK IT, ETC.!!!!!!

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Ducky I would have loaned you my dvd's :)

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Hippie.

No worries. I might as well use my Netflix I keep paying for each month. Of course, that means I need to finally *watch* Love & Basketball, so I can send it back and get season one, disc one.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, honey, you'll love Love and Basketball. Or I hope you will. One of my 10 favorite movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted