1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, what does your sports editor do for a living?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gumbojumbo, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Superman

Superman Guest

No exceptions. Insideman and I did make nice and apologize.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My SE's kinda hot. ;D

3. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

My computer crashed after it saw the phrase "My SE is hot." I'm very grateful it didn't flat out die. 'Hot' as the lone word, it does not compute.

Those questions and observations certainly did not seem out of line. How many of us read that and saw familiarities?
    But a hot SE? You throw that at us and offer no picture or description? Oh, that's just unprofessional. :mad:
    Wait, your SE is a female right?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: Some questions

sf - if anyone believes for a second that person's se enjoys the meetings s/he attends, they're high, and i can accept that. but for someone to suggest their se is lazy because s/he attends mandatory meetings -- and contributes nothing at those meetings -- is fucking ignorant.

in the age of cutbacks and newsroom restructuring, that person should be pissing his pants because he's so ecstatic knowing someone has his department's collective back behind closed doors.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

We criticize what we don't understand.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This SE, for one, spent 14 hours on the job Saturday, starting with a triathlon at 7 a.m.

My previous SE worked his ass off, setting the tone for my current level of activity in a job I only started three weeks ago.

A year from now, after I have had a chance to get things run ning smoothly, I intend to get home in time for dinner with my wife, etc., etc., but right now I've got too much on my work plate. Not much slacking in this corner.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Newbie, fetch me a beer. There are people here who get that little joke. You're not one of them.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, Tom, but I didn't read his post that way. It was "if" your sports editor is attending those meetings and contributing nothing. And if that's the case, he's hiding out.

I agree, however, that many/most sports editors who are any good are in their pitching their departments and helping their people and the paper.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sf - i saw IF differently than you. for me, his IF was more like i MIGHT have a cocktail tonight since it's my day off. or, i COULD do little more around the house today other than head to the backyard and throw baseballs to the petty youth. or, since it's my day off, i'm THINKING about ATTEMPTING to talk mrs. petty into performing despicable acts this evening.

i'm GUESSING bobby brady -- or whatever the hell his name is -- MIGHT of been ripping his boss a new asshole ... but that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just sos you knows, sometimes the best way a sports editor can help his department and his people is by keeping his trap shut in those meetings. It's like a press conference. You don't hit 'em with the important stuff in front of everybody. You catch 'em alone.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'll give you this...since he was a hit and run guest, you might be right.

I think I MIGHT now go have one of those cocktail things IF I can find the bar I go to every day.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No doubt about. One of the most useful traits you can have as a manager is when to sit on your hands and when to bite your lip.

The more I look at this thread and the more I think about it, the ability to delegate may be the most important thing for an SE to grasp.

Draft saved Draft deleted