1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, what does your sports editor do for a living?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gumbojumbo, Jul 31, 2006.

1. my guy hides in his office and refuses to believe that we have some serious problems here.

short staff, and terrible personality wars with the people we have.

yet he just sticks to his office, hoping it will all go away.........we need so much from him, and we don't get squat.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And with that, Red fades into Bolivian.

See ya, Red. Way to fight the good fight.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think 2under was offering to let you walk in his golf shoes for a moment, despite the fact it leaves him barefoot.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Wow, Hoops. I've had some real, real bad sports editors, sorry excuses for human beings. I don't know if any of 'em approached 'goat raper.'

We can only hope he gets his in the end .... oops.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I had to look and make sure you didn't work for me. This sounds exactly like me.

Which is why I resigned and went back to my ASE gig. Less stress, less politics, more writing.

6. Superman

Superman Guest

I don't think any job is worth six-day work weeks that are 60+ hours.

The help any SE hires should, ideally, be able to keep the status quo for two lousy days every week so the guy can recharge rather than burn out. I wonder how some manage to take vacation without freaking out.

7. gumbojumbo

gumbojumbo Guest

Some questions

Is the SE really working that much, or just in the office that much? And if he/she is working that much, is that not a sign of bad hiring/management in that others can't do the work? And "working" a lot doesn't mean he/she is accomplishing anything. Some people spend as much time or more talking about the job as doing it, which means they may not be doing all that much. :mad: And as for "meetings," if they make the paper better, they're good. :) If they make the section better, they're good. If your SE is showing up and doing nothing and then spouting off about going to a meeting during which they're contributing nothing? :mad: I wonder.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: Some questions

are you an ignorant fuck or are you just attempting to come across as one?

maybe you are right, though. maybe your SE should stop calling all those fucking meetings with his boss and his boss's boss, which would allow you more time to find ideas to bitch about.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sometimes I read responses in here, and my head just kind of spins and I say, 'What the hell was in the first post that caused a reaction with that vitriol in it?'

10. Grey

Grey Member

agreed. my head just spun, too.

11. Superman

Superman Guest

Maybe Tom is overworked and just blowing off steam on a message board. Lots of us do it.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Even you, Man of Steel?

Draft saved Draft deleted