1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what are we all going to do?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Feb 27, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Something that I've been wrestling with of late: What exactly are Americans going to do for a living in the next 10, 20, 50 years? Between the outsourcing of jobs, layoffs in certain industries, the continued mechanization of society and a growing population fed by, among other things, people living longer and, yes, immigration, both legal and illegal, it seems like there are fewer and fewer jobs available, and more and more people looking for them.

There simply aren't very many factory jobs left, for example. People used to be able to eke out a decent, if not fabulous, lifestyle doing that. Not anymore. You can't get a job in a call center anymore, because all our call centers are in Bangalore. We all know about the troubles the newspaper industry's in, obviously, and though that affects a relatively small part of the population, there's fallout from that all around. And, really, how many people in this country have "office jobs," where they go to work, but no one ever really knows what they do? (Someone described it here a few days ago as the Chandler Bing phenomenon.) How many of those are going to stick around?

I don't think we're at some mystical point of no return yet, although I'm not sure that the days of 3 percent unemployment will ever happen again.

And...go!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but I'm moving to India.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I, for one, plan on pulling myself up by my own bootstraps.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm knocking over liquor stores.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm opening a Chinese restaurant utlizing the alley critters or my enemies as your General Tso's.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Note to self: Cancel cats playdate with Sportschick.

"Where'd my cats go?"
    "I dunno. Want some chicken?"

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the question.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd use squirrel, but it's too stringy.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

To borrow a sig: You are growing more and more interesting in my estimation by the day.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i died, mrs. petty and the heartbreakers would do pretty decent on the life insurance and social security ... tough job, though.

11. SigR

SigR Member

Factories will be back to this country eventually. Sweatshop labor only lasts so long until the demand for labor rises and workers start getting a fair market wage in a developing country. Products that come from china aren't as cheap as they used to be, and the U.S. trade deficit has been declining recently due to high demand for American goods. Part of that is a weak dollar allowing foreign currency-holders to buy more here, part of it might be companies deciding that it isn't a no-brainer to set up a factory in china anymore. Well, I don't think we are at that point quite yet, but the day will come where American businesses are going to decide to produce domestically. There is only so much cheap labor in the world to initially "exploit" before the prosperity infused into the region creates a demand for labor that prices U.S. companies out of the market. Again, not saying that it is going to happen tomorrow. But it might happen the day after tomorrow.

And there is a bit of beauty in it, that the reason countries like china and india are becoming wildly more prosperous is because of American companies tapping the human resources available. Whether it's the taste of prosperity that propels it, or good old-fashioned greed, it's all that it takes to kickstart a nation out of the stoneage.

Draft saved Draft deleted