1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, what are the rules for irony again? (example included)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

My wife and I were driving back from a quick Home Depot trip on Saturday morning... lots and lots of yard work to do.

We get behind this RAV-4 (or something similar) that has a vanity plate from our state: KRE8IVE.

My first comment to my wife was that using a "K" in place of a "C" is neither unique or groundbreaking. Likewise, using "8" in place of "ate" is neither unique or groundbreaking . So, in reading this person's license plate, I've come to the conclusion that they are trite and unoriginal - exactly the opposite of what the plate claims.

So, I ask you, is this irony?

I can never remember.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Your conclusion would support your subjective claim that the plate is ironic, yes.

IMO, you'd have a better argument if the plate had instead said CREATIVE. Whatever you think about the uses of the K and 8 in this instance, my hunch is that if your kid wouldn't get away with KRE8IVE in his spelling test at school. Then again, the education system being what it is, who can say for sure?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not exactly rain on your wedding day.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

There you go - clear as mud. ;)

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My guess is somebody had already taken Creative and Cre8ive, so they were left with Kre8ive.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Was the person in the Rav4 getting a free ride when he/she had already paid?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I bet they had 10,000 spoons when they needed was a knife.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Was there a no smoking sign on their cigarette break?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Maybe you were the man of her dreams, and she was pissed you were with your beautiful wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted