1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, we're all on Twitter. What about Facebook?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I should have specified - I was referring to those covering pros or D-I sports. If you're doing it for preps, you need to get the things you reference because there isn't s major outlet that will.
    Don't be a "I have more followers" guy. Followers are built on what you're covering and who you're covering it for. If you cover HS, it's easier to pick up followers than covering a mid major for a news wire.
    You sound like you're doing great, but remember that Twitter is a resume booster and you have to let it to be for you. It's a chance to build a brand for that next job. Here at home, the sports Twitter is atrocious. Every writer is boring and lacks personality. Except one - an elder columnist who gets it. He has an edge, interacts, provides good commentary during pro games and I'm amazed that, as a dinosaur, he's picked it up better than the handful of guys in their 30s.

2. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Going back to the original premise of this thread, I did some checking on our sports site. For the past year, combining Facebook and Twitter referrals, Facebook gave us about 60 percent and Twitter 40 percent. Both are pretty much links we post to stories, photo galleries, etc. We post a link once to Facebook, but will push stories and galleries to Twitter multiple times a day because it moves much quicker.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed on Twitter. Some people covering games are really fast posters. Sometimes they post about a play I haven't even seen yet because of the delay on my TV (which seems to be a couple seconds more behind on HD channels).

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fast forward to the chat with Seinfeld. Human interaction between 2 generations that really aren't meant for interacting.

Draft saved Draft deleted