1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, we're all on Twitter. What about Facebook?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Feb 5, 2016.

1. So, I found myself looking to the future ... and facing a potential dilemma.

I'd say 99-plus percent of SJ users are on Twitter, working the brand, getting the link clicks, racking up the followers, breaking the news.

What about Facebook? I'll assume most of us here have profiles to be accessed by friends ... but what about "like" pages?

In the unfortunate event Twitter ever crumbles, I think it's safe to say Facebook is here to stay, simply given its massive footprint it already holds with billions of users.

Does anyone here maintain a public Facebook "like" page? Should journalists have one?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, do both. Build your #brand everywhere, including Insta, Snapchat and Periscope.

3. Really, Snapchat?

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just Twitter.

It's enough for me. Besides, I'm not interested in looking up formerly hot high-school girls on Facebook.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A bit of hyperbole. But keep an eye on it. Lots of brands and pro teams are using it now. No need to be an early adopter, but who knows where it might be in a couple of years.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Snapchat could be a great marketing/advertising tool for media outlets. Every HS kid uses it. They love it. Get a sponsor for those videos and bam, you've got some multimedia revenue.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Exactly, because every high school kid has such income and spending power that you want to reach them so all your advertisers are exposed to their massive wealth.

Eventually, advertisers will figure out the flaw in the theory that clicks = dollars. Most kids are clicking away, and most don't have shit to spend.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I maintain both personal and professional Facebook pages.

The work page is a good place to post articles and to reach out to sources and potential sources.

10. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I think it's useful if you're at a bigger shop, but for folks at small dailies and weeklies I just wonder what's the point...

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise on this.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We had someone from Snapchat in our office last week, pitching my organization's involvement. My impression was there could be some benefit.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you're at a small daily or weekly, getting on SnapChat and Insta is even more important because there's a good chance to reach the HS kids you're covering. If you can convert them into clicks, bosses won't be upset.
    Twitter and Facebook are more for breaking news and getting your stories out. Insta and SnapChat are about building a brand. Problem is you have to be interesting and most reporters aren't, are just to afraid to try and have any sort of personality, or they come off so fake it's unappealing to an audience.
    Periscope is a better tool for a larger paper, mainly for those covering pros/college. If you cover a D-I hoops team you should be doing Periscope chats at halftime. It's good for the readership and helps you, as a print reporter, become better at TV/radio. You can sit there and talk about the first half and answer questions and all you do is hold a phone. You do 10 minutes pregame, 10 minutes halftime, that's 20 fewer minutes spent gorging on the media grub, which will help everyone's health too.

djdennisOU likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted