1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So we might be buying a place...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Sep 28, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You've already done the worst part.

When I watch shows like House Hunters I get annoyed by people who are complaining about the color of the walls. It's just paint. It's an incredibly easy fix.

But wallpaper? Screw that. We bought a house that had wallpaper everywhere and took it all down. There was a dining room where I swear the biggest piece I got off was the size of a quarter. It was like they put that ugly shit up with Gorilla Glue. Never again.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Next challenge: install a small piece of drywall (3 foot by 2 foot). I’ve seen everything from “you’ve got this” to “you should pay someone to do it so it’s done right the first time, because you’ll fuck it up and it’ll cost so much more later.” One challenge is working around the water valves and drain pipe for the sink. That gives me pause.

The reason for hanging drywall is because we removed a vanity in our half bath and the thing was built into the studs. I don’t think I’ve seen that before? And the tiles were glued to the slats, there was no mortar or grout there. This is a small townhouse development that went up in the mid-’80s, and perhaps they slapped everything together without much regard for doing it properly.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I understood that. Is it a patch, or are you hanging a small piece of sheet rock? If it's simply hanging a small piece, it shouldn't be that difficult to do yourself. Certainly nothing that can't be undone if you are having difficulty. Make sure it's cut to the right size and just give it a few framing nails into the studs. If there is already sheet rock around it, use spackling compound around the gaps, scrape off the excess and sand it down so it's smooth. Then you can paint.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

YouTube is your friend for this stuff. Watch a few videos before you start.

Draft saved Draft deleted