1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So we might be buying a place...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Sep 28, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I bought a realtor's house not yet listed in a hot market repped by a another realtor in the same office (a dear friend's mom). The highly-recommended inspector made a cursory glance around the place but wouldn't sign off because the master bath added decades before was only resting on the garage roof, with no plans or permits to be found. My dear friend's mom followed the inspector around until I ordered her to stop. He said the seller had to sister all the garage rafters for proper support. They did, but it caused significant leaking into the garage which I had to pay to fix.

Looking back, I'm not even sure I should technically have been required to pay a realtor's commission on an unlisted property, but it was a friend's mother (who I'm sure split it with her colleague). Another lesson in money pits, as my cousin the contractor advised: It's your friends who'll screw you the worst.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We closed today. I'm now broke for the rest of my life.

3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

many congratulations.

sgreenwell and wicked like this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Congrats!! Look on the bright side, you're likely paying for an appreciating asset, not paying for someone else's appreciating asset. The amount due on the mortgage is daunting but you'll get there. Meanwhile, enjoy the pride knowing its yours and the knowledge that you get to do whatever you want now on it and you don't have to ask some landlord or worry about what the apartment next door sounds like.

wicked and Splendid Splinter like this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You are not broke for the rest of your life, because now instead of paying rent you're paying equity into your house that you'll get back when you sell it.

wicked likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words. I’m still ... struggling with the potential outcome from Election Day. I’m happy to have a distraction. Lots of things to do before the end of the month.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are mostly paying interest for the first 5 years

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    wicked likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No more so than if you are paying high rents. And when you're done with it -- either having paid it off, or sold it -- you will either have a place to live, free and clear, or you will (most likely) come out way ahead financially should you decide to sell it or rent it out.

wicked likes this.
  9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yes. I've owned homes for more than 30 years. I am aware of that. But still the point remains unlike rent the money he pays toward his mortgageand comes back

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats.

wicked likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Wicked! There's nothing quite as non-life threatening terrifying as a closing, but in a couple of days, pride of ownership will replace the fear. The pride will survive even after you encounter the million and one things about a home that will make you cuss violently as you confront them. Oh, yeah, one more thing. If your chimney doesn't have a raccoon screen on top, get one today! That's hard experience talking.

wicked likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So how many Wicked pissahs are there?

Congrats. Home ownership is great. We are in the middle of an entire kitchen gut/remodel, so we're eating out of the living room, have no stove/sink, the fridge is in the garage, tables, chairs, etc. all over the place and contractors here all day. Not fun.

But on the bright side, I finally contracted with a lawn service to do the yard (I've had some health issues which stopped me from mowing, raking, etc.). It's wonderful. The guy is here for 90 minutes and my yard is mowed, all the leaves are gone and piled up in the street for collection, etc.

Here's a hint: When neighbor kids hit you up for Girl Scout Cookies, field trip/jogathon contributions, etc., give them a $20 and call it good. Someday if you have kids you'll do the same to them.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted