1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So tomorrow I start my new online news job ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Jan 6, 2013.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Howdy all,
    As many of you may know, I ran into some issues at the paper I was working at last month as my publisher and I got into a heated debate over what self plagiarism was and I was demoted for refusing to run a column that someone tried to slip past me that was a 99.6 percent re-submission from last year.
    Anyways, I'm happy to announce that I was offered and accepted a job at an up-and-coming online news site in our state's largest city. It's not a Patch site, something a little more serious (No offense, Patch folks) and I was wondering what advice you guys who may have made a similar jump might have for me going forward.
    Also, thanks again for the great advice when I was battling for my professional life. I really feel that this move is going to be a challenging one but one that will, hopefully, restore my faith in journalism and reignite the passion I used to have for this industry that's been sucked away by poor managers at the sinking ship I just jumped off.
    And thanks in advance for any advice listed here. :)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, first, congrats. Hope the publisher's jaw dropped when you gave your notice.

You also haven't said what type of news site is it. Is it one where you're feeding the web 24/7? If so, my advice would be, don't burn yourself out.

My second piece of advice is two words: Photo galleries. People love them.

3. Provonian

Provonian New Member

Congrats on the move to the Frozen Tundra that is the Digital Realm. Good luck.

The No. 1 thing Web-centric journos need to know, and I'm sure most of the people on this site do more with it than I do: Twitter. People don't just want to read Web research and online stories; they want their information in 140 character-sized capsules. If you're not on Twitter, get on it. If you are on Twitter, step up the game (even make an account just for your work-related jive).

I hesitate to say social media is the future, because it's still unpaid in its entirety. But it's a good driver of digital traffic, that's for sure.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Best of luck!

Long form is nice...but just because you have unlimited space doesn't mean that you should use it.

You'll get more clicks with 4 200-word stories a day versus 1 800-word piece.

Yes to photo galleries. Yes to video. Yes to polls. Yes to social media interaction...without coming off as a tool.

Again, good luck! I wish I had the balls to take the leap.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As in carpentry, a good rule in the digital sphere is to "measure twice, cut once."

Which is to say, don't let the need to be first get in the way of the need to be right.

The most valuable coin you'll bring to the game is your credibility. Don't squander it.

6. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Very true, very important. Even if those pieces are related -- hell, especially if those pieces are related -- more pages means more clicks. If you can get each unique visitor to your site to make 5 or 10 clicks every time they visit, that will translate to flat out more money.

It might also be useful to go back and read that story (posted a few weeks back) about how Bleacher Report reformed their site. "Top Five Ways" something or another. It had some interesting points about how to draw an online audience, how to use social media effectively, etc.

It's scary, but if you do it right, very rewarding. I've loved my time in the digital world - you get a better idea of which stories readers care about.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Nice to know some things don't change. New publisher, same old shit.
    Watch your back, and enjoy the big city. If you can keep that enterprise on two feet after your predecessor's departure, you're officially a player in this state's media scene.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What everyone else has said.

And you must be congratulated for (quickly) getting out of a shitty situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted