1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So THIS is HDTV?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Jan 22, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I had heard the men on here going gaga for the HDTV. I'm currently staying in a hotel with plasma TVs, which apparently include some HD channels. I say apparently because I watched one last night for a good half-hour without ever knowing.

And I turned them on today, watched another hour of it, flipped between it and the analog channels...no difference to me.

Now, I remember someone (shottie?) saying they were watching a game in HDTV and the guys were going crazy and the women were like "What? It looks no different."

I'm on their side. And I'm kind of pissed off about it. What SHOULD it look like?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

At least for sports I think there is a real difference. HD is much brighter and crisper. You can see stuff with amazing clarity compared to the regular TV channels. It is also much brighter.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup. That's the phenomenon. IJAG, you are PART of the phenomenon. ;)

What should it look like ... look at the graphics. They are 3-D like. Look at the faces. You should be able to see the pores in their face. Everything is very bright, and remarkably sharp.

If that place has it, look for the HD Discovery Channel. That is the best example of how good it can be ... well, that and the NFL Network.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have no graphics. Just a CBS station, some PBS stuff and some kids channels. I see no pores, though, and everything's kind of dark and a little fuzzy. Weird.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe the TVs aren't actually HDTVs. It shouldn't be dark and fuzzy, that is for sure.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Well HD takes more than just a fancy TV and a random HD channel. The TV settings have to be set properly and most importantly the accessories need to be HD. Trust me, HD slaughters analog TV when things are set properly. I'm not trying to sound holier than you, but I was a damn good TV salesman at Best Buy for a year; I know my stuff.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A bad set-up job on an HDTV renders it as bad as any other picture. That may be the case where you are.

Or it might just be a girl thing. ;)

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It would have to be just my room. Because I only found out it was HD from two male friends of mine raving about the TVs in their rooms.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You mean you didn't see the schooner?

[​IMG]

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Heaven. It looks like Heaven.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Look, a sailboat.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can tell the difference, but HD has never enhanced my viewing pleasure.
    The expense doesn't seem to be justified.

Draft saved Draft deleted