1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So they're going give me a radio show...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Aug 12, 2020.

1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

How about rooting for the laundry when it comes to sports and politics. Do people see the connection? would it make them more open to questioning all or nothing loyalty to party or player. You could point out the fans love, devotion, excuse making for a player...until they leave their team. Do they even see that this happens the same in sports and in politics.

2. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

On radio, no one can tell if you're masked.

justgladtobehere and maumann like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No callers. They are idiots. Even more than the hosts.

Treat it like a podcast.

Vombatus and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

On radio, no one can tell if you're naked. And yeah, I've heard some crazy stories where the next person has gotten a shock from the jock.

I have been mooned while doing the news in an effort to make me laugh. Didn't work, but I did lose it one time when a huge rack of advertising cartridges landed on the jock by accident and all I could see were his shoes, like the Wicked Witch.

Vombatus and Liut like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you can recruit a co-host, I'd suggest it. We did a local football show last season with three or four people. It was an hour long on Friday morning, and there were a few times I either wasn't completely woken up yet or found myself spacing on a particular game. The others on the panel helped fill what certainly would have been dead air or awkward conversations if it had just been one or two of us. Most times the hour flew by and we still had items on the rundown at the end.

Depending on what format you settle on and how long the show is, I'd also suggest not being afraid to veer off of traditional sports topics. You obviously can't do that if you bring on a guest to talk about a particular topic, but if you have to go it alone you don't want to stray into the "Does Pete Rose belong in the Hall of Fame?" and "What is Tom Brady's real legacy?" types of topics.

For the long term, try to find an identity and figure out an audience. You work at an HBCU, so maybe that's an underserved topic you could mine without going too far down the rabbit hole of being a niche show. There are a lot of issues going on with those right now, especially with your school switching conferences, that could easily fill a show with and make it interesting to a wider audience.

maumann likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good point. Having listened to a lot of talk radio, I think there might be about 40 minutes of actual content per hour once you get through the news updates and commercials. Most shows don't even start until the :06 and :36 minute marks of each hour and then have a break somewhere in the middle. By the time you set up a topic you're halfway through those first 24 minutes.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Learn quarter-hour maintenance pertaining to what adcs and Batman addressed just above.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Poin Files are worth a special segment.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Three phrases.

Show prep.

Show prep.

And show prep.

maumann and Vombatus like this.
  10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Just from listening to a whole bunch of podcasts, you can cruise along nicely with a good mix of guests.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And also: always have a backup plan for every segment.

maumann likes this.
  12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Poin Files are worth a whole month of special segments ... :D

Liut, HanSenSE, Batman and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted