1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So the Sun now works for the Post?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 18, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, before my friends at the Post jump on my throat, let me be clear that I still love the Post. Always been one of my favorites, remains one of my favorites. The Post is dealing with the same stuff as everyone else and I think it has handled things better than most. It also does probably the best job of any paper with the print-Web marriage/balance/whatever you want to call it.

Huge Post fan.

Still, I got a chuckle out of this today when I went to read about the 20 people who showed up to watch the Orioles-Royals:

By Baltimore Sun
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010

At least the Sun was able to find a job!
    You can even click on the byline to send an e-mail to Baltimore Sun.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I assumed you meant New York Post.

3. Moderator1

Why? For those of us who grew up in the Mid-Atlantic, THE Post is the one in Washington. No knock on that other Post, which I also enjoy.

4. writingump

writingump Member

Guess this didn't gain the Moddy Seal of Approval (lol).

5. imjustagirl

Because for those of us who DIDN'T grow up in the Mid-Atlantic, THE Post is the one in New York. :D

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No it's not. Not really. Maybe for you. But I think most newsies think "Post" they immediately go to the Graham paper.

7. imjustagirl

To be fair, I obviously lean toward tabloids. Hell, when I read "The Sun" I was about 50-50 between Baltimore and London.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Actually, I thought for sure it was about the UK Sun. There goes the WaPo's market share in Liverpool!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As a former reader of the Dallas Morning News, been there, done that.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once upon a time, the WashPo had a great sports section.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Post still does have a great sports section. Perhaps not as great as it once was, but still great. Tom Boswell, Mike Wise and Sally Jenkins are always worth a read, Barry Svrluga is a heavyweight features writer, and Adam Kilgore, Rick Maese/Jason Reid, Tarik El-Bashir and Michael Lee are among the best beat reporters in their respective sports.

Now, this error clearly comes from the Post's decision to remove titles from the paper. My guess is, they have a form of routing system to post material online, and because these days "The Baltimore Sun" goes as a byline in the print edition, it probably got formatted as such in the web edition.

Silly error, yes, but hardly a commentary on the paper as a whole.

12. Moderator1

Agree, versatile. I reiterate my love for the Post. I just thought it, um, interesting given these times in the ol' biz.

Read the print version today, didn't notice too many ads in sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted