1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So the Pirates finally found a scapegoat for their 18th straight losing season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Jun 19, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: So the Pirates finally found a scapegoat for their 18th straight losing seas

This is something Wlat could do.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's only because everything that's happened since October 1992 has made you numb to something like this. At this point, it's simply comical. You see a story like this, roll your eyes and go, "Those are my Bucs."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have never been to PNC. It might be the best stadium in the bigs.

The Bucs are the new Cubs.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not only have I been to PNC, I helped pay for it...and I want my money back.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Spell Cub backwards, you have Buc.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, people actually go to Cubs games because it's The Thing To Do in Chicago. PNC, not so much. But I agree, it might be the best stadium in baseball. Had a blast when I was there last year--I grew up with the really bad Atlanta Braves teams so I love empty stadiums where you can get great seats cheap and have room to roam.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, it goes back before October 1992. They started dismantling that team for financial reasons (y'all can argue the cheap bastards vs. lack of funds if you like) before the 1992 season. They started losing key supporting players after the 1990 season, which was probably the best in that three-year run of division titles.

Then they started letting bigger guns go after 1991 (Bonilla and Smiley). They had already made the bad decisions that led to Bonds and Drabek leaving after the '92 season by then. Most of us knew it was coming all along, which is what made the end of the '92 season so painful. It was very clear that they would not be back in that position again for a very long time.

8. CR19

CR19 Member

Remember when the fans walked out of a game to protest the team's front office? I think that tells you everything you need to know about this team's chances. I can't even remember the last time when the Pirates contended for a playoff spot (or a winning record).

[​IMG]

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They finished second, 5 GB in 1997.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Where have you gone Gene Lamont? If memory servies, I think they were in first at the break...had a losing record, but were in first.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I just looked it up. Spent 32 days in first place, none later than July 17, no lead greater than 1.5 games.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He goes where all ex-Pittsburgh coaches go, Detroit.

Jim Leyland, Legendary Lloyd McClendon (batting coach) and Lamont (third-base coach).

And former Buc player Rafael Belliard is the infield coach (although I don't believe he ever coached in Pittsburgh).

Draft saved Draft deleted