1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, The Leftovers on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am out, although I really like that actress who plays the Nora character.

Six episodes with no story, no movement at all.

Very frustrating because I really want to like this show. I like it relentlessly downbeat outlook.

But I can't stick with what amounts to a stream of loosely connected character vignettes.

Done.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

See, I thought they moved it forward at the end a bit, with the reappearance of Wayne and we learned a little more about what he's doing and how he's doing it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We didn't learn any more about the hugging guy than we already knew.
    Clearly, Nora was changed by the encounter, but that's not enough for me.
    We're six episodes through a 10-episode run, and there is still no story.

I am so frustrated.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

I guess I'm just postulating here but it seems to me like Wayne is the devil in disguise. He's making them forget about the departed by taking away their pain -- kind of like turning their back on God by making them forget about the Rapture or whatever.

It was a weird episode last night but I kind of like how they're explaining how each main person in the storyline was affected by The Departure. I guess we get to see why the cop's dad went nuts next week.

It's got enough legs to keep me interested, but I understand completely what you're saying.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm close to where you are, Buck, but I have the fear that as soon as I quit watching there's going to be a huge payoff and a bunch of things will be explained.

At least one good thing about last night's episode was there was zero time spent on those fucking cult lunatics. Never thought I'd be glad there was no Amy Brenneman or Liv Tyler, but that's how fucked-up they've written this. I have been a big Brenneman fan every since she was on the first season of NYPD Blue and I've never not liked a performance by her ... until now, and that's only because I hate the Guilty Remnant and everyone associated with it.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm a week behind, but let me ask this: Did anyone else think the GR were involved in the stoning, or at least the vic knew it was coming? I just can't get past that opening scene, where she and Patti have that intense, wordless meeting in which they agree on something.

To what end, I have no idea, but that's the impression that I got.

Thoughts?

7. Tommy_Dreamer

I dunno. Seems to me that if they had planned that, they wouldn't have been that "cruel" to one of their own I guess.

8. Killick

I was thinking it was a possible attempt to frame those still clinging to religion, and what better way to link it to them than an old-fashioned stoning? It was cruel, sure, but just as extreme as other GR things we've seen them do.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

I got where you were going, but I dunno. Just seems odd.

10. Killick

It does seem odd, and I'm probably wrong. As powerful as the stoning scene was — and it was STRONG — I can't get past that opening scene. (And the restaurant scene later, which seemed link to it as well.)

Weird-ass show. Digging it.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

It's so out there that I'm digging it as well. Hope we get some kind of big payoff in episode 10

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well it moved forward a bit this week insomuch as it connected Nora to Wayne and gave an idea of how someone who was clearly devastated by the Departure could finally find a way to start moving on. I still would like to know the origin of the Guilty Remnant, how it came to be, what the end game is for that group, etc.

"Fuck your daughter," made me laugh out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted