1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, The Leftovers on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Now have the first four episodes on the DVR and am contemplating diving in.

Worth my time??

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think it's worth you giving it a shot.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like it. My wife is clearly bored by it but insists on watching because Andy Cohen likes it.

I'm only following 'The Leftovers,' 'The Strain' and 'True Blood.' I'm not really following anything else, so I've got plenty of time to watch them during the week if I don't watch on Sunday.

I'm really only watching 'True Blood' because I've already come this far.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Me too. Way down on my DVR watching list, though, even behind Halt and Catch Fire at this point. But I am curious to how it ends.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Still haven't watched the most recent episode. Been watching first season of 'The Wire' instead.
    I knew Kima was going to get shot. Everybody was going to know Orlando was snitching. Terrible plan.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The show is unendingly sad and downbeat, which is making it a bit difficult to continue to "enjoy." I still like the show and I'm in for at least the rest of the season, but my wife is on the verge of dropping it.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm just going to admit it, I have watched every episode and have no fucking clue what's going on.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The impression I'm starting to get is that we very well may never find out what happened to those who were taken, or why they were taken. After all, the show is about "The Leftovers," not "The Taken," and I suspect it will remain focused on how those left behind sort out this terribly confusing and difficult event in their own ways.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I mentioned earlier that I've seen an interview with David Lindelof saying he hopes people will stop worrying about the mystery and focus on characters. That sounds to me like he is falling into the same trap that led to pissing off so many people who watched Lost. Actually presenting real answers to a show's mysteries doesn't prevent viewers from also following the characters.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

opening was brutal

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

SPOILER

Last night's opening scene is something I won't soon forget.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I agree. It was very brutal.

Draft saved Draft deleted