1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, The Leftovers on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Or use a DVR, On Demand, or HBOGO like everyone else.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He hasn't lost anyone in his immediate family through disappearance.
    He lost his family but indirectly.

3. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

I hated it, but my wife wants to give it another couple episodes. It was slow, boring and disjointed to me ... absolutely nothing roped me in or seemed to make sense, but that's probably because I lost interest about 15 minutes in and didn't really pay a ton of attention. Sucks, because the trailers made it look like it would be a cool show. Based on the pilot, I was thoroughly disappointed.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I don't know what you were watching if you thought it was boring. We had about 10 WTF moments while watching it.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Glad someone started the thread on this.

I don't know what to think actually.

This has the possibility to be fantastic or shitastic depending on how they go about things. They tried to do a lot in the pilot episode so I can see why someone would say it was disjointed.

Really want to know more about the "Grand Remnant" I think it what they called it. Why does Liv Tyler's character at first freak out/punch one of them and then go and join them. Why don't they speak? The cigs reaffirm their faith? WTF is going on LOL

I did have to laugh at the "I understand the Pope, but how does Gary Busey make the cut?" line

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm curious to read the book to see how that story goes compared to how they set up the TV show. The book has fewer than 400 pages, so I'm assuming there are story lines and plot twists in the 10-episode/11-hour TV series that aren't in the book.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I find it odd. And I like odd.
    I am a big-time reader/watch on end-times stuff, but usually with a heavy-Christian angle, so this is different and I had to take a few days to think if I even wanted to watch it.
    The choke scene was...interesting. Like someone said, these kids' morals are...different.
    Meh to me so far, but I think it is worth a summer to watch once a week.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Finally watched the premiere. Having a hard time thinking of reasons to watch the second episode. At least the revelation that Amy Brenneman is the Chief's wife was intriguing. And the scene at the end with the dogs.

The Ellen Jamesians aren't exactly likable.

Usually for me to enjoy a show there has to be a few likable characters. Haven't exactly figured out who those might be just yet.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Watched the pilot last night as HBO was airing it on just about every one of its channels at some point yesterday. I liked it, though I'm not sure how much longer I'll give it.

There were some interesting points along the way, but it seemed to drag in certain spots too.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Very interesting pilot. I will continue to follow.

Why do the group of crazy fuckers chain smoke? Hilarious.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting involved in a game of Spin The Bottle like the one they played. . . though I am not a big fan of getting burned.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So you like to get choked? :D

Oh and they smoke to proclaim their faith. I think it said that on a wall during the show.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought the idea of the smoking is that it shows a complete disdain for life on Earth. The Remnant members believe life as we knew it is over and that trying to move on is pointless. Doing something that shows no regard for your long-term health, smoking, is a way of demonstrating that belief.

Draft saved Draft deleted