1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So sue me ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Just fielded a call from a woman whose nephew is in deep shit with the law. She said the county attorney is out to get her and her family, and if we print in our paper what he is charged with she was going to sue us.

I said, "Ma'am, if it's a matter of public record, we're going to print it. If you want to sue us, go right ahead."

Silence on her end.

Me: "Ma'am? Are you there? If it's public record, we're going to print it. Sue us if you want."

Still silence on her end.

Me: " Are you done?"

Still silence.

Me: Click.

Jeebus.

2. I'm calling my lawyer

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

So I guess that would make you like Brad Renfro, "The Client".

Set that one up.

If she sues, it would be a lost cause for her, plus her nephew should never have got in trouble with the law in the first place. Hopefully it's not a murder charge or anything.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Platyr,

I would point out that if it's public record, you will print it. I wouldn't invite her to sue, though, because if she gets pissed off and does, it's a headache for you even if she has no case.

Believe me, you do not want to go through depositions and all that crap.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Her nephew tries hard too. Why don't you write about him in the paper?

Wait....

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I miss SoSueMe. What happened to him?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They finally sued him. He can't afford the internets anymore.

8. Platyrhynchos

I doubt if these folks can afford a lawyer, Ace.
    And, she won't sue. It's the one's who don't threaten to sue who usually do. At least that was my experience from several worker's comp cases I handled as a distribution center manager.
    And I don't think an attorney would take her case because it is so cut and dried. Of course, if he thought he might get $1,000 out of it, he might ...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sure she won't. I just think it's good practice.

You taunt the tiger enough and one of these days it's gonna jump out of the zoo.

10. fantastic

11. Platyrhynchos

You are, of course, right. I just get tired of them playing the "sue" card and thinking we'll back down and not print it. I should have said something like, "You do what you feel is appropriate."

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Find out what he did. You've got me interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted