1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So should this person have fried?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you commit a violent crime against someone, the punishment should equal the crime. It's that simple. An eye for an eye.

To me it's unacceptable that if someone breaks in, rapes and kills your mother/sister/grandmother/whatever, to say "Well, sorry. But we'll put him up in warm/cool facility and feed him three times a day better than low income families who are honest and have jobs."

2. Nope. Not in a civilized country. That's not what the prison system is about. And when it is, the society suffers as a whole.

It is mind-blowing that in 2008 the United States of America still has the death penalty. Absolutely mind-blowing.

3. Aren't we better than to be a vengeance society? Shouldn't we be more concerned with justice?

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

because justice should be unemotional. Revenge is for mobs.

and wait until your freedom to determine even the most mundane aspects of life is taken from you and I think you might value it in a different light than just "three squares a day"

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

you take away freedom from the thug.

the thug takes away the life of some innocent person and destroys the life of their immediate family forever.

6. So, Joe, are you willing to execute the occasional innocent person because the system made a mistake? I'm not.

7. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Demo, I realize "innocent" people get executed. Innocent people also go to prison and get bent over sinks by Grossberger and his gang. But how many of these "innocent" people are convicted, or even accused or suspected, without being up to something worthy of that?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll speak to the case in Arizona...

A female bartender was murdered. She had irregular bite marks on her body. They sent a guy named Ray Krone to death row because he (a) had bad teeth because of a car accident, and (b) someone thought the bartender had closed the bar that night with someone named Ray. Krone had an alibi and the physical evidence at the crime scene did not match Krone. Also, two dental experts had told the prosecution that there was no way the bite marks matched Krone's teeth, but the prosecutor ignored that. He was convicted and sent to death row.

Krone was in prison for more than 10 years.

Ray Krone worked for the Postal Service and was a former Air Force Sergeant and Boy Scout. So no, I don't think he deserved to be executed just on general principal.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Oh. I forgot.
    So does that make all mentally retarded people this dangerous? Perhaps America of the 1920s had it right when they created homes for the "feeble-minded" and locked them away?

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And in a strange coincidence, people who oppose the death penalty, typically but not exclusively of the liberal variety, usually look the other way when the good doctor or practitioner vaccuums the womb free of that unwanted tissue.

Sorry to be so graphic, but if you'd embrace this poor soul who might in the future murder your spouse, my spouse, or yours/our kids, then you can handle that.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Huh? He's arguing against him being executed. Your post is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'd like to know a little more than what I saw in the story. How retarded was he?

Draft saved Draft deleted