1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So should this person have fried?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The story said he was retarded, but is that an excuse?

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=5cb68675-ba2a-4302-b099-d41076e4253c&rss=701

2. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Not according to the Constitution and common law.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Let's see...murder and forced sexual assault. In some states, that's capital murder, two felonies, punishable by death.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But he's mentally retarded.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

So, in Texas, that's worse, right? I guess he's lucky he's just north. [/familyguythreadjack]

6. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

Pursuant to Atkins v. Virginia and the Eighth Amendment, LWOP is the maximum allowable sentence.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Why should people's tax dollars be used to keep this fucker up for life? If he's too bad to ever be turned loose because you don't know if he'll do something like this again, for whatever reason, fry him.

8. I'm not a proponent of the death penalty, so my answer would always be "no."

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because the expenditure on executing him, once you go through the appeals process, is typically far more than the expenditure of keeping him in prison for life. And don't use that as an excuse to rant about the appeals process. If the state is going to kill someone -- and it shouldn't -- then it had better be damn sure the guy's guilty.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

WFW, deskslave!

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what I was going to say, only not as in-depth.

Draft saved Draft deleted