1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Saddam is dead. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Saddam has been physically out of the picture ever since they fished him out of the spider hole. The insurgency flourished with him in jail and will undoubtedly continue in his death.

Does Saddam the martyr further inflame the civil war there? Or do the Sunnis decide, hey our boy is dead, let's get with the program and succumb to Shia rule?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There will be violence if he was executed. There would be violence had he simply been detained. There would be violence if he flew around on a magic carpet. There would be violence if he had bad breath. They'll use any excuse to be more violent.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Now, that's stereotyping. We can't do that!

Even if it's totally accurate.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Perhaps he will become a rallying point for his former Baathist (sp) Sunni minority, but I don't see him becoming a marytr in the classical, historical, biblical sense. In the same way that some Russians pine for communist rule -- and the stability it afforded -- ain't nobody making a marytr out of Stalin.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, since he was red carded he'll have to sit out Iraq's next match.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well played, sir.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i thought once he died, we got world peace

9. markvid

markvid Guest

It's only been 2 hours, these things take time.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They've signaled the start of world peace in Iraq, by having everyone head outside to fire their guns in celebration.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

The celebrations they showed on CNN after the hanging made it look like Baghdad just won the Super Bowl. Lots of drunk Iraqis trying to get on camera.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Personally, I liked the celebration they showed in Detroit the best. Though I don't think any Iraqi-Americans would have gotten away with pouring champagne on a cop's head, a la Kenny Rogers.

Draft saved Draft deleted