1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, our paper isn't going to remake for Bonds' 756th...is yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hpdrifter, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Get to work, slackers! ;D

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

complain about AP all you want, but Janie McCauley had her write-thru out within five minutes of the ball landing in the stands.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Everyone say it with me ..... FUCK!

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

We had a mock-up for 756 finished this afternoon and just designed today's front with a similar size/layout for CP and a planned bump order if it happened.

I know the rest of the desk is cranky but, personally, I'm just glad it's over. And that we're on the West Coast.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes.

A moment of silent respect, please, for East Coast deskers.

6. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Just wish they had been quicker with the photos. It was not Super Bowl quick.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I agree with the quickness of the copy, was impressed with the turnaround for once. Good job

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Really wasn't too bad at all, considering everybody -- AP, us -- was ready for it.

Turned around three pages pretty quickly.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good thing your paper does things the right way and lets the designers have their way...

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He hit 3 minutes before our deadline and our page designer did a quality job of replacing the main package. I am glad I wasn't at work during all of that, because I am thinking he shit a brick when it happened.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I designed a Bonds record centerpiece earlier in the night, just in case he broke it, that I could swap out with a non-time-sensitive story that was going to be the centerpiece. He hit it about 20 minutes short of our deadline, and I just swapped it out. Many thanks to Janie Mcauley (sp?) for getting that story out so quick, although I imagine it was all written except for the count, field and pitcher he hit it off of, so I understand how she did it so quickly.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

We did the switcheroo, as a CDT paper, pretty seamlessly. Had to hold two local stories for said Bonds six-column pre-planned package, and we were only about 30 minutes late. They also swapped out our 1A for a standalone photo of Bonds.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted