1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, our paper isn't going to remake for Bonds' 756th...is yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hpdrifter, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Yes, Eastern time zone sucks, but still...isn't this still something everyone should try to get?

2. If it happens, the current front page goes into oblivion and it's a complete makeover. There's not excuse not to have it, IMO.

3. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

We already have the front we want set up. Of course, I requested one with a banner headline that said "Bonds indicted for perjury" that was turned down on account of it not being likely early enough.

I only ask the roidfreak to do it in the first inning. It is the Nationals, after all.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Design a five-column package, about two-thirds of the page deep.
    Across the top have three small pictures, one of Babe Ruth, one of Hank Aaron and one of Bonds. Have a little note on each one explaining when they did what they did.
    On the left hand side, have a giant cutout of Bonds in swing about two and half columns wide, for the head use 756 in giant type, then have an empty, two column box for the live photo.
    Underneath that, subhed says something like Bonds passes Aaron for homerun record.
    That takes care of about 75 percent of layout, all you have to do is wait until it happens.
    If it is really late, just stick as much of the AP copy you have out front and a note that says due to the West Coast start, look for more coverage in the next day's editions and online at www.eastcoastpodunkfishwrap.com.
    Or that's what I would do, if I still had to worry about such things.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Our "flexible" deadline is 11:30. In cases of emergency, we have up until 11:50 to get the paper out. We can, if necessary, replate 1B after the first 4,000 papers have been run. That usually gets us to about 12:15-12:20 or so. After that, no replating.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm filling the top strip for first edition and I can update to about 11:10 p.m for first.

Remake the whole page? College football practice has started -- are you nuts?

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yup, us too. In fact, I just saw a re-worked version of the 756 front ... spiffy. Here's to hoping it happens early enough for us CDTers.

rb

8. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

The problem is: How many nights can you play this game of having a disposable centerpiece on your sports front. It's exhausting.

We have good flexibility, though.

If he hits it between 10:30 and 11:45 p.m., EDT, we're in great shape.

If he hits it between 11:45 and 12:45, we'll make it work, but with not as many bells and whistles.

If he hits it after 12:45 a.m., EDT, too damn bad.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We're in Central Time Zone here, but no matter when he hits it, we remake the front and get it in as many papers as possible.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed. The "too damn bad" attitude bugs me. It's big news -- you work at a newspaper. Do your job.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

We have a page sitting in the hopper much like a prepackaged obit. Just waiting to flow in the fresh text.

If Bonds goes yard, we just swap out one page for the other and a few stories simply go bye-bye or wait until the next day to run.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed twice.
    Not having it in your paper, well, might as well just go to being online.

Draft saved Draft deleted