1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So now, a fat person's sneeze or cough carries with it 50 pounds for you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

http://www.the33tv.com/pages/content_landing_page/?Overweight-Maybe-you-caught-the-fat-viru=1&blockID=196421&feedID=460

Here's a promise: After the government has taxed smokers bloodless, fat people are next. If someone came out and said you could catch the "gay virus" there would be a white-hot outrage. How much will fat people get when it's been proven that there's an obesity gene?

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This post makes absolutely no sense.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Point out the word "sneeze" to me in that article, plz.

4. ScribePharisee

What part do you have trouble reading? Or did the reference to "gay virus" begin spinning your defensive side so fast your mind came uncorked?

1) Smokers are being taxed because of the health hazard in smoking.
    2) When there's nothing left to tax because no one is smoking anymore due to the price of a pack of cigs, the government will need a new target. Fat people are an obvious candidate.

3) A sneeze can allegedly pass along an obesity virus.
    4) Obesity has been proven to be genetic in some cases.
    And then, to avoid the "G" word, especially for you:
    5) Being gay is said to be genetic, but they'll get more defense from the left than a genetically-predisposed overweight person when it comes to civil rights.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

*rimshot*

6. ScribePharisee

It doesn't say specifically but common human viruses are passed in large extent that way. I was listening to a TV anchor use the "sneeze" reference. With Fox News' Neil Cavuto regularly bringing on a woman to talk about such subjects as associating with overweight people will make you overweight (yes, that happened last week), they don't need this. "Avoid fat people. You can catch a virus and be fat yourself."

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I understood what you were saying, but the connections you try to make are laughable. Yes, smokers are being taxed because of the proven health hazards of smoking. You then make a conjecture that the government will tax fat people, which has no proof or evidence anywhere in the story you posted. Nowhere in the story does it say a sneeze can pass along the virus. Obesity has indeed been proven to be genetic in some cases. And I've seen nowhere trying to connect rights between being gay and being overweight. It seems you're again frothing at the mouth about the subject when it has no relation to the topic you originally posted about.

So yes, your post made no sense.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Scribe, ratchet the extrapolation machine down a notch or ten, please.

You don't know how to operate it, and with the Warp speed extrapolation you're operating at, you could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova. That'll end this thread real quick, won't it?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That'd be fine by me.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

[​IMG]

Bubbler valiantly escapes the blast radius.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. ScribePharisee

I'm projecting a little here. Cut me some slack. When the tax collected from smokers dwindles to the point where it's not a significant revenue, where do you think they'll go next? And when they do, I'll sit back and wait for the first gay-rights proponent to stand in line with a bunch of people at Weight Watchers and sing "We Shall Overcome."

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So if this study pans out, does that mean I can't come visit?

Draft saved Draft deleted