1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So my facebook got hacked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm sure I'm not the first this has happened to. A couple days ago, I'm on facebook when my chat windows pop up and conversations start with actual friends and people I never talk to.

I knew immediately I had been hacked. They were saying I was in London, needed money to fly home, etc. I logged out, logged in, changed my password, logged out and logged in.

Got back on facebook later in the night. No problems save for a PM from someone I never talk to apologizing for not talking with me, and to give her a shout sometime.

Next day, I logged in and my account had been disabled. I guess it still exists, but nobody can access my profile. I've tried emailing facebook twice, asking if and when it will be reinstated. No response.

Has this happened to anyone? If so, was your account ever reinstated? Or am I SOL and need to start a new account?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The same exact thing also happened to former (and departed) poster Tripp McNeely's Facebook account, and his e-mail. Messages about how he was in London, needing money. The Facebook account was lost, and unrecoverable.

In the past, Facebook getting hacked meant some of your contacts (I do so hate the word "Friends!") received a message that they looked crazy in some linked video, which led to a virus. A couple people I know deleted their accounts in the wake of such shenanigans.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You know, if you had added me as a friend the first fifteen times I sent you a request, this would not have happened. ;)

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

OK, I kid. It seriously sucks that this happened. You are not the first I have heard of.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Friend of mine got the same thing. Fucked up both his Gmail and his Facebook. In London with his mum on holiday, mugged, send cash. He ended up nuking his Facebook, but I presume he'll come back.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

this happened to one of the talking heads at the ticket radio in dallas. not his acct but he fell for a "friend" stuck in london and needing money.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I had a friend get her FB hacked. She just chose to nuke the account and start a new one.

I had my Yahoo e-mail hacked last year. Changed the password and changed my challenge question answer to something that's not true, just in case it was someone who knew me trying to pose as me.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A friend's account was hacked just a few days ago as well. Got an e-mail saying he was in Canada and needed money to get home. Crazy thing was, he was actually in Canada on a short vacation. I called him up, he said everything was fine and he had no idea how his account was hacked because he thought his password was pretty hard to figure out.

He just nuked the account and started a new one.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know a few people who have had theirs hacked and sending something out saying they're selling electronics and to check out this site. Usually a change of the password is all it needs to be fixed though.

Pretty annoying though.

Draft saved Draft deleted