1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, my dad may be getting engaged this weekend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, May 15, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Was getting my oil changed at the shop where my dad works earlier today, and had this dropped on me out of nowhere.

We were just talking about all kinds of stuff, and he said 'I'm getting engaged this weekend.' He showed me pictures of the woman he had met back in January and told he how they met and all that. She is in the Army and stationed on Fort Knox, and could retire within the next year.

She's currently in Georgia on some assignment, and that's where my dad is headed this weekend to pop the question. He hasn't bought a ring just yet, but said he didn't want to buy one and her say no. Makes sense, especially considering he isn't the most financially stable person.

Dad said they've been living together since February -- she has a house/apartment off base, I guess -- and they've already been on a few trips to different places. They went to the Grand Ole Opry about a month ago, and he's planning a trip to Florida for a few days later this summer before she comes back to Kentucky.

As I was telling Tommy_Dreamer, my parents have been divorced for going on 21 years. Dad is twice married, twice divorced -- his second wife left him on Easter Sunday; my mom has been with who I call my step-dad for about 20 years now, but they're not married.

I just don't know how to feel about all this. I mean, it's only been a year since my dad tried to kill himself -- he was writing myself, my sister Bethany and my step-sister Lindsey goodbye letters and had a gun sitting on a table next to him when Bethany walked in and got him to stop. And it's been less than that since he thought he had met the next Mrs. Wifey -- a woman who would wind up breaking his heart and shattering the man I knew.

Add to the fact he works for a GM dealership and he was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and things haven't been all that great for him lately. But this lady, there's evidently something about her because I can see the spark back in my dad's eyes. He lights up when he talks about her, with a broad smile from ear-to-ear. That's something I haven't seen from him in months, and it's awesome to see him returning to his old self.

Was texting Tommy when I got home, and he said he got the vibe that I am unsure about everything. I am, in a way, I guess. But all I want for my dad is for him to be truly happy again; he deserves at least much given what he's gone through in the last 18 months and is going through now. As long as he's happy, that's all that matters.

And it seems like he is. Finally.

Draft saved Draft deleted