1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

so much for small weeklies being like cockroaches ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I work for the smallest daily in our chain. It has the best profit margin.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

yep, ours is doing just fine. the boss man also said we had a mandatory meeting for all employees tomorrow evening to give a "state of the union" address and also about insurance and other benefits...
    again, as i think i mentioned in earlier threads, i believe smaller dailies can continue to survive with emphasis on community news, sports, etc...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's what publishers and editors are saying. Pink slips coming next week.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

yep, you are probably right.
    let's hope not.
    my friend at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram said he felt he was all right over there, but was ready to hear a "sorry, but i gotta lay you off" message, too.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Didn't see this thread and started a different one (sorry). Anyway ... We're a daily CNHI shop and yesterday lost three full-timers (that we know of) from different parts the building, including a newbie copy editor and an ad guy who's been there for 23 years. No one could say if more layoffs are coming.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. Good a time as any for a running CNHI disaster thread.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a former weekly newspaper editor, I resent the implication that small weeklies are all crap.

8. You'd be surprised...

9. micke77

micke77 Member

pardon the "pat on the back" for our small daily, but more times than not we whip the crap out of larger papers in the area who have far more staffers. they've got the personnel and more bucks to do much more than us, but lack one major ingredient: the willingness to chase down stuff or put the energy into it. we're just pissed, though, because we're not part of the BCS system with the big boys.

10. Proteus

Proteus New Member

That part kept repeating in my mind while I read the rest of the story. It's sad to see something go that has been around for so long. I'm sure the loss will be somewhat mourned by the community as well.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

according to our publisher who gave a "State of the Union" address to our paper yesterday afternoon, we have ZERO debut and have had it for like 20 consecutive years now. we bought a new press with cash, according to him.
    so tell me if i am living in a dream world or somebody is bull shitting all of us: if that's the case, why did all of us here have a major drop in our Christmas bonuses. am i really bad in mathematics, economics or what, but if we're doing so well to hand over cash for a spanking new press and have zero debt, couldn't the very individuals who keep the paper going be compensated more? just thought i'd throw that out there. i know all of us are never paid enough or invariably will fuss about what we do get paid, but that just struck me as very contradictory.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fast becoming a prolific threadjacker

Draft saved Draft deleted