1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

so much for small weeklies being like cockroaches ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Jan 13, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if that's 4 people in the newsroom it's plenty to put out a good product.

not a lot of weeklies out there that own their own press.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd think it would be easy to put out a weekly with four people. We're putting out a daily with four.

3. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

it sounded like from the write-up the four employees were the entire staff (advertising, etc.)... agreed about four people in a newsroom being a decent number ...

4. txsportsscribe

there are tons of mom/pop weeklies where 4 or fewer total employees putting out the paper, selling ads, etc.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure those papers with four total employees are great reads too.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Actually five counting the publisher, and he does a fair amount of writing (from what I saw on the paper's Web site) ...

7. txsportsscribe

some are crap but i've seen some with some damn good writers, mr. elitist

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not an elitist, but some newspapers are just rags, plain and simple. There is one in my area where a guy on the city council writes the city council stories. It's not as if this paper doesn't have anyone else who could cover a meeting too.

Back to the original topic, if a small weekly was a cash cow, there is no way a company would close it down. Why would you close down something that brings in money?

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Oh...if that was the case, then I misread it.

But we do have others pitch in when we can, even with our four-person staff (I'm only counting our news staff on that; Sports-wise, it's a one-man show). Our publisher took photos and shot video in Topeka yesterday. Our ME had to type stuff in on a laptop while she drove the car back.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I worked in college at a weekly that had been around since 1842, IIRC. 18-something, anyway. CNHI allowed the other weekly in town (and no, it wasn't that big a town) to buy it out and shut it down.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Our shop, also in the chain, got hit today too. Two lost in a small newsroom.

12. micke77

micke77 Member

weeklies and smaller dailies can be major cash producers. it had to be management or something that messed this up. we're in a chain of about 30 small dailies and i'd say all but three or four are making good bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted