1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So much for "blogs are the future of journalism"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 23, 2006.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

OK, so not every blog is a news blog. But not every Web site is a news site, either, and the Internet has had a profound impact on journalism. It's not a fair comparison.

I don't think blogs are the "future" of journalism, but they're part of it.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The word 'blogs' has become such a catch-all for a huge array of different kinds of sites.

I read a tv industry website called newsblues, but it's just a bunch of links... not what I call a blog.

SportsJournalists.com has been referred to as a blog... not what I call a blog.

Romenesko is a bunch of links... not what I would call a blog.

Chris_L's page? Yes, that's a blog.

Deadspin? Yeah.

---------------------

I don't think opinion 'blogs' will ever become a mainstream source for news and information.

What I do think will happen is that media conglomerations will form websites that offer the written word, video on demand, still photos, etc. These websites will be accessible from a portable device. The most successful ones might be the ones with the best newsgathering, reporting, and video rights.

Reporters of the future might be something like Kevin Sites, sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted