1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So much for "blogs are the future of journalism"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 23, 2006.

1. The South has risen AGAIN?

But damn. What is the correct word/formulation there?

In conclusion, Tom Petty songs play in my head when I read your posts.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I don't know what's more comical - the fact that nobody ever claimed blogs were the 'future of journalism', or the fact that some folks here will do anything they can to rip BLOGS! Nevermind that every major newspaper in the country is 'blogging' ...

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well said, damien. still, i'm always shocked at the vitriol spewed by SportsJournalists.commers toward blogs. i think most people's perspective is warped by being inside the business. i used to be in the business, but now i'm out of it, so i'm still pro-mainstream media, but i am convinced that legitimate journalists who ignore the power of blogs do so at their peril.

and this study must have been conducted by morons. just like there are at most a few dozen influential newspapes and magazines in this country despite the existence of thousands of newspapers and magazines, there are only a small number of influential and important news reporting or commentating blogs.

4. Well, it took longer than I thought it would for that country to be heard from.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think a distinction needs to be created between blogs and the online columns and electronic coverage offered by media outlets.
    I don't know what to call it, maybe e-coverage?, but you can't compare what a real reporter can do with the prestige of the paper as a resource, versus even some of the really well done blogs.
    Kos and a few others can get credentials, but any reporter, at almost any daily paper, will have better access than almost any blogger. That won't be changing anytime soon.
    Plus, most bloggers are looking for a real media gig. Ana Marie Cox (Wonkette)  was one of the better known bloggers and she was ready to throw it all away for the WashPost. Then she did and went to writing books.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Whaddya mean? After the whole "60 Minutes"/Bush National Guard story broke, all these bloggers were giving themselves pats on the back for getting Dan Rather canned. Then Peggy Noonan did that silly column about how these guys in pajamas were the future of journalism.
    I don't know how influential bloggers will be. I know they're great at patting themselves on the back and getting the media to pay a lot of attention to them. I know we've been down this road before with the tech bubble...things getting more hype than what they were worth. I know like everything, some of the bloggers are good, some of them suck. I know they wouldn't exist without a mainstream media to feed off of. I know it will be a while before even the most influential blogger has anything close to the clout of the most influential reporter/columnist.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

First off, who is Peggy Noonan? And no, im not googling her.
    Bloggers patting themselves on the back is one thing ... it's another to drum up advertising. Mainstream sites like the gawker family are one thing - those guys don't do much work, they just feed off of email tips ... as one of them told me, 'the site runs itself.' As gawker has proven, no matter who you have in the driver's seat, people will visit.

For the independent bloggers out there, hustling to start a site, be witty, and drum up advertising ... well those guys are to be applauded.

As for your clout comment ... ummm, Bill Simmons? As much as it pains me to say it, he has far more clount than any columnist in the country. You guys may swear by the guy in KC, but your avg sports fans in DC or LA has no clue who he is. Now if he goes to ESPN.com or a website ... well ...

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Peggy Noonan is a former Reagan speechwriter turned conservative pundit. She writes for the Wall Street Journal. She's preachy and annoying, but she's intelligent and prone to an independent thought now and then.
    And I'm a Simmons fan, but I don't know how much clout he has. I know a lot of people read him, but he's not like a Lupica or Reilly, guys who break news or determine national coverage on an issue.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sir - excuse me, i have to go run down a dream.

10. sir - excuse me, i have to go run down a dream.
    Will you be doing that in the cabin down below?

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

billy pritchard,

I heard Wally goy lost in a patch of reeds. Is it true your parents spoiled you on debauchery and witchcraft and everything wild?

12. Absolutely. I think it prepared me well for a life in sports journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted