1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

The attitude that some American sports writers (they often surface around World Cup time) display toward soccer is almost identical to that which was displayed towards MMA. The arguments themselves aren't identical. No one calls MMA a girls sport. They come from the same kind of place though and use the same kind of logic. I am unfamiliar with this and don't like it. Therefore it's illegitimate. The notable difference being that when dismissing soccer the American writer sometimes throws in jingoistic "Rah-Rah America" nonsense.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My problem with MMA is that as soon as some fighter gets popular enough to penetrate my consciousness, they get their ass kicked in their next fight.

3. No, it's unseemly gloating. ;)

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Similar statements were made about Major League Soccer as well. Only the soccer deniers don't think it's a success. So to the OP, congratulations. Enjoy your valuable sj.com points, a copy of our home game and the lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat!

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Anyone want to bet the over/under on how many Tapout shirts Mr7134 owns, or how many tattoos he has on his neck or back?

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Probably the same amount of I love nerds shirts that you have.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would gladly accept MMA/UFC thriving until eternity if that #%&*!@% hip-hop/rap fad would just go away.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved to see Chael Sonnen talk shit on TV abut how bad he was and how he'd fuck everyone up, even if, according to Wiki, he record of 29-14-1 was better suited to a division leader in the NHL.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Buffalo Wild Wings is the Brooklyn of UFC.

Did Monica's boyfriend from Season 2 ever become the ultimate fighting champion?

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If people want to watch this stuff, have at it.

It's just not for me. I saw a replay of those two dudes bleeding all over each other the other day. It was fucking grotesque.

HanSenSE and expendable like this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I always considered MMA as just an unfortunate but temporary result of banning cock and dog fighting.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Always suprises me that MMA is held to a higher standard on savagery than boxing.

Fly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted