1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Somebody's going to die as the result of one of these things, given so much testosterone spilling out in Vegas. Tupac was killed the night of a Tyson fight, and shit's gotten even more crazy.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The amount of blood lust we have in this country borders on epidemic. This grew from the fact that boxing was too boring for people and they wanted more aggression. Then you add in people who are legitimately upset that violence is being legislated out of football.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Can any of these guys skate?

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Really into professional wrestling territory here.

UFC is a television show.

It has one star.

Dana White.

Only thing I can think to compare with it might be the Bowe/Golota brawl.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don’t follow the UFC, but glancing at headlines over the past few months, I can’t see how anyone didn’t see this coming from a mile away.

The UFC is closer to someone killing another person with a gun in or out of the ring than a well run sports league. It’s a circus that is probably making money hand over fist.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Other than Ronda Rousey, McGregor is the closest thing to a crossover star MMA has produced.

Not clear to me that Dana White knows what he's doing.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He knows how to make money.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Plenty of suckers in America, as has been demonstrated.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess my questions about White have more to do with the health and sustainability of the sport, rather than the popularity of the UFC promotion.

White runs a one-man show. The fighters are interchangeable, and largely anonymous outside the fan base. The biggest star in the sport's history fought 14 times and lost twice. Badly. Now she wrestles.

White is the manager, the promoter, the matchmaker and the sanctioning body for every one of these fights.

Seems fair to me to question White's leadership and the sport's legitimacy (ie., it still might be a fad) on that basis.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

To be fair to White, Jon Jones is better than both Rousey and MacGregor, and shouldve been a more marketable mainstream star, and got hooked on drugs instead. UFC caught a bad break on that one.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Of course the brawl was of White’s making; his superstar just lost and no one is talking about that.

Genius.

Draft saved Draft deleted