1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

ESPN also hired Ariel Helwani, easily the most popular/recognized MMA media member, to fill out their MMA coverage.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For $300 million per year, couldn’t ESPN have started and owned their own competing circuit?

I thought UFC was notorious for paying peanuts to anyone but their biggest stars.

How much would it have cost to steal away a lot of the top talent, and most of the lesser talent?

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not a diehard MMA fan, but UFC is pretty dominant. They probably could steal some talent, but it would take a lot
    to start a new league. UFC is already well established. If they can just buy the broadcast rights and make a profit that
    seems a lot easier than trying to run a league.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: XFL, The.

5. YankeeFan

You need so many more people, plus stadiums to compete with the NFL.

Plus, people root for laundry in the NFL.

UFC is like a traveling circus, and people root for individuals.

ESPN is into the UFC for $300,000, plus production costs. That sounds like a ton.

I think of the guy -- Mr. Wonderful -- on SharkTank who tells people with good ideas, but no brand, and who have nothing proprietary -- parents, technology -- about their business, that he could start his won competing company, for less than they want for a portion of their company.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't follow the sport closely at all, but I wouldn't call it a traveling circus. Not when it just fetched a $4.2B price tag.

There's a few regional circuits, but they're like indie leagues in baseball. Everyone wants to be in the show.

7. YankeeFan

I just mean that they don’t need to locate teams in 30 markets, and compete with established teams, or fight for stadiums.

An ESPN owned league could rent out an arena the same as the UFC.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It LOOKS much more barbaric, but hitting without gloves almost certainly causes less long-term damage than hitting with them.

I think the main issue here is that we’re not dealing with world-class athletes (save for guys like Gunn who was a boxer of some renown), which greatly increases the injury risk.

Iron_chet likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

New league starting up.
    Terms of Service Violation

I am curious why there seems to be several new leagues in various sports starting up and what investors are seeing as the upside. Between the new XFL, the AAFL, the Big 3 hoops league and this - is the idea to undercut the top dogs?

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt lump combats sports in with the football and hoop startups, there have always been various promotions for mma and boxing. There's money to be made if they want to be "in addition to" ufc and not direct competition.

The season structure is interesting. Different spin on the old Japanese tournaments Bellators trying to replicate, maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted