1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is always Bellator.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Scott Coker last night:

"I sense a great disturbance in the force ..."

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You're serious??? Do you realize many guys take stuff but know how to beat the tests? Some are either too arrogant or too stupid and get caught more than once.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't think it is as simple as you are making it sound with USADA constantly testing them, even out of competition. I'm sure there are still guys getting away with it, but far fewer than there used to be.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is what people thought in the 80's, 90's 2000's and they will forever.

Athletes and trainers are dirty, they are ahead of the leagues and federations attempting to catch them.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So all of them?

I definitely feel stupid for thinking Jones had figured his shit out and would be taking every precaution not to get caught again, up to and including staying clean. But I'm not sure I'm ready to be such a cynic that I assume every professional athlete is dirty. There are many who, if caught, I would say "yeah not a shock there." But there are still plenty that would still surprise me.

I have always been the idealist type, though. So maybe I'm just a sucker.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, not all, but none should shock if you if they were.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

There's a podcast with Victor Conte talking about beating drug tests. Never took any roids or hgh, but know several guys who did. Won't say everyone is doing it, but I'll bet anything more guys are doing it than get caught.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Im sure Jones is like most caught in the situation, the problem wasn't that he was using something he shouldn't have, but that the masking agents didn't work.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely agree there. I wouldn't be surprised if we found out 50 percent of fighters were on some form of banned substance. But there are still some fighters, probably because of my own biases, that would surprise me. Like Jones's last opponent, Cormier. I would legitimately be surprised if he popped positive.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted