1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope. I have other things to do than spend $60 on this. I'm curious as to how Punk will do, but not enough to spend $60 on something that could end in 20 seconds.

TyWebb likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm pretty curious too, but I also won't be shelling out $60.

I wouldn't write off Punk just yet, though. He always worked pretty stiff and has a solid foundation in wrestling and ju jitsu. He should be in great shape and focused, at least for now, and if for no other reason than to try to shove it up Vince McMahon's ass.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I've been trying to give Punk a little more credit than most. Lord knows he knows how to work hard. I have no doubt he's been busting his tail in the gym. He also trained with a really great coach, Duke Roufus, so that helps. But the clips I've seen of him sparring just look so bad, like cardio kickboxing bad. Plus he's fighting a guy who has five amateur fights and two pro fights under his belt and is a brown belt in jiu jitsu. He's also like 15 years younger than Punk. There's just no angle from which I can see Punk win.

Interesting sidenote: the building he will be fighting in is the same building in which he told McMahon he was done a few years ago.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As usual, I'll not shell out $60 for it, but I may or may not watch on Periscope or some other site. I'm intrigued. But I'm usually dead asleep when these UFC main events go off.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, Phil Brooks just got Punked.

TyWebb likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This is my surprised face.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So, UFC might not be a fad. But is it a fraud?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Sadly, I actually was a little shocked. I actually thought he had turned a corner. Feel a little bit like a sucker.

If this turns out to be true, it will be the end of his career. He could be suspended up to four years and the UFC likely won't take anymore chances on him. It would be a shame because he is probably the most talented athlete in the sport and was already on the short list of GOATs.

Draft saved Draft deleted