1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So long, Sporting News Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

What they mean by publication this time around, I have no idea, but this may have come down to the idea that more eyeballs reading for free equals more advertising dollars and more total revenue than subscribing eyeballs and smaller ad dollars. Good luck to 'em.

2. VJ

VJ Member

But isn't that growth entirely due to the AOL partnership?

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm assuming because in the past 12 months they bought all the traffic from AOL.com. Let's see if they can continue to grow their audience.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So appropriate that they lead this letter with a major dangling modifier.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

"It's been a pleasure playing with you, gentlemen."

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Proves Gary actually did write the letter.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I never really got into it. I would rather buy a print product then pay for a print product online.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I believe many feel that way, and it's what makes online publishing a difficult proposition. I do not know if that's going to change, either.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the end, isn't this the major catch-22 of the business. People used to be willing to pay for a print product.

But they're not nearly as willing to pay to read things online -- as though it's supposed to be free if it's on the Internet.

And now that there's so much to read online, millions no longer look to buy the print product.

In some ways, newspapers did this to themselves. They thought the advertising dollars would pour in from the Internet. They've since learned otherwise.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ah, but they still think it's a viable business model. And so the bleeding continues.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

And you would have thought that the instant publishers discovered that online revenue would not match print revenue dollar-for-dollar (which many publishers, including mine, expected), free news would have been yanked. More than a decade later, here we are, swimming in red ink spilled into a pool of declining circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted