1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, like, what the Hell is Gannett up to?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Nov 25, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods Comcast is the cable carrier.
    Gannett owns a network affiliate here and they are apparently trying to make Comcast pay for the right to carry the new digital signal. Like the way a cable station gets a cut of what the cable company charges.
    Of course, when it was over the air, it was free. And Comcast can't carry the affiliate without Gannett's permission, so Comcast has said they will drop the Gannett station in December if something can't be worked out.
    I admit I don't keep up with broadcast issues, but I thought that the whole point of networks not paying for the broadcast frequencies was that they aired the signal for free and broadcast educational programming.
    Is that not true anymore? And what the hell? Is this happening across the country, is my town an isolated case? I have no idea and I was hopeful someone on here might know.
    Maybe I'm tired, but it looks like I stumbled across something.
    I've got an e-mail out to Jim Hopkins, I hope he isn't out jogging*.

*extreme inside baseball joke

2. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Old news, and not just Gannett. LIN-TV pulled their affiliates off Time Warner Cable all over the country at the beginning of October -- including the CBS affiliate in Buffalo, which cost thousands of Bills fans the chance to see the team's games unless they could find an old-time antenna to hook up to the TV.
    (And yeah, that was earlier in the season, when they were actually playing well ...)

LIN's position: If the cable company is making money off their programming, the content provider has the right to ask for some of that money.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Twin nothing little stations here broadcast in digital; the big city cable system shows their programming in HD and the system that serves the burbs don't. Both show it on analog.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gannett already killed one paper in your town, Jay.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So the axe falls next week?

I'll be curious if any more columnists get the axe now that The Tribune became the first to send one packing.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

If it's salary you want to save, you go after the people getting paid two or three times (or more) what the clerks, drones and knaves are making. Besides, there's the bonus of creating "new" stars, making the bosses feel important for their acumen and instincts while paying the new ones some fraction of what the old ones got. (Since when would a reporter turn down a column opportunity just because there wasn't a huge pay raise attached? Where are they going to go anyway, should they get into a snit?)

If the business is failing, why do you want to keep around some previous regime's definition of a difference-maker? Ford used to be proud of the Fairlane. Now not so much.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Getting rid of your most visible talent is dumb. For many people, a familar name or face, IS the paper, whether it is someone they like or dislike. They have a relationship with a paper through the people that write for it.
    If its me - the first people who go are those positions that never touch copy or photos. Figure the paper gets by and gets out without higher ups in the newsroom almost 1/3 of the week anyway.

8. Joe Williams

But you see, Dan, it's not you. It's the higher-ups in the newsroom who make the decisions about who goes and who stays, even as they're the ones who maybe ought to be going. In their minds, they are the paper because they go to the 10 a.m. meetings.

(I'm just trying to keep Fredrick's seat warm. ;D )

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh I realize it will never happen. In the Gannett vision, the reporters, photogs and editors are only there to carry out their directives. Underlings are merely there to give bosses someone to boss around.

10. Joe Williams

Well we all need, someone, we can bleed on...

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Keep the columnist. Fire all your top beat writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted