1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So let's see: Dems in power for three days and now we've got ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Nov 10, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, you beat me to it.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, you apparently don't think a great economy created by the tax cuts, record low unemployment, a record Dow and no attacks on our soil since 9/11 mean much. You would be orgasming about those things if Clinton was still in office.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But according to this post, you seem to blame American voters for basically enabling Al Qaida ...

Al Qaida is using its own voice. And it's saying, "Thank you voters. Our job is easier now." And that's not even addressing the other story linked showing how England's MI5 (without all the roadblocks put out by US lefties) is tracking 30 terrorist plots involving 1,600 terrorists. They want to kill us. They're broadcasting how they want to kill us. And you want to wait until it happens and then give them "civil rights."

And when the next attack on our soil comes, you're going to blame the Bush administration for not doing enough, even if it happens after Bush is out of office.

... I mean, if you're not into the blame game, why even start this thread?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here are the most important parts of the stry tony linked:

Twenty-six American service members have been killed in Iraq so far this month.
    At least 59 Iraqi civilians were killed or found dead Friday as the violence threatens to spiral into all-out civil war

And please tell me how a record deficit and lot of people working for a minimum wage the the Republicans refuse to raise constitutes "a great economy?"

5. old_tony

Now admit it. You really think the Cold War ended because of Gorbachev, not Reagan's tough talk. If you don't claim that, you'll get excommunicated from the DemocratIC Party.

And there are still a lot of people who believe (and history will eventually bear this out) that removing Saddam was the right thing. If Saddam was still running Iraq, Al Qaeda would be using it as a training base. Of course, the left always discounts the documents found since the invasion that report the meetings between Saddam and Al Qaeda leaders. Doesn't mean they didn't happen.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Spnited, when old tony says "great economy," it's in an economist's wet dream sense. A surge in construction and production jobs, more money into this and that, those help define a "great economy" in a textbook sense.

But what might be a "great economy" for Wall Street isn't one for average Americans hit with surging inflation, skyrocketing oil prices and a rapid decline in the housing market, all of which leaves average Americans with less disposable income.

But that's irrelevant because Wall Street echoes the GOP in calling it a "great economy." They just don't say for whom.

7. old_tony

Yeah, except that inflation hasn't been a factor in this country since Carter and oil has been coming down for the most part over the past four months. And I suppose in your world housing prices going up slower than the past 15 years means "rapid decline." But that would only be if your world was a "Bizarro World."

And are you telling me that no one in the middle class owns stock? Surely you know that's not the case, don't you?

You and he media would be trumpeting the current economy from the mountaintops if the Dems were in charge.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kinda like Wall Street bemoaning profit margins of 20 per cent, because they really wanted 30, which initates the slashing and burning of newsrooms across the nation. Fuck Wall Street.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm still waiting on an answer to this. Because without a reasonable answer to it, I'm pretty sure the entire thread is pointless.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And you're parroting it, thereby giving it some semblence of legitimacy by using it to score points against a political philosophy you don't believe in.

That's about the seemiest kind of the "friend-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend" I've seen.

Just defend what you did on that account alone, don't throw a bunch of bullshit evasive talking points to muddle the essence of it. You gave a voice to the terrorists.

You can't defend it, because it's indefensible. You legitmize Al-Qaida when you do so, which is an insult to everyone who has contributed their lives fighting them.

a) Thanks for putting words in my mouth. And civil rights? What a quaint notion. I think a great country was founded on it and has existed with them as a bulwark of what can be good about the nation-state, despite the many enemies of civil rights over the years that sought to weaken them, many of them saying things like, "the world is more dangerous place, our civil rights need to be alterted in the face of this new danger." See Alien & Sedition Acts, late 1790s; see Red Scare, 1919; see McCarthyism, early 50s.

b) "They, they, they, they ... want to kill us." Do you and people who think like you get up quaking in your boots everyday? You sound like Hudson from Aliens ... "game over, man, game over!"

And even if the paranoia was 100 percent true, do you think maybe, just maybe, we might not want to formulate policies that don't exercerbate radicalism? Instead of snuffing out terrorism, we've thrown since charcoal and a can of lighter fluid on to the situation with our idiotic Middle East policy.

Oh, but winning is the only thing! God forbid we lose a war! Even though every shred of common sense suggests it's being lost anyway, and that it was fought on the faultiest of reasons to begin with.

See, I think that's what at the heart of this mess, there's a lot of people who just refuse to admit that our country HAS THE CAPACITY TO FAIL with its policies. There's many that would rather fuck the world up and snuff out innocent lives -- including our own -- rather than admit defeat or even admit that our policy in general is seriously flawed.

Oops, now I'm putting words in your mouth. My bad.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Middle class own stock. I never anything to the contrary.

And if the Democrats were in charge and responsible for this economy, sorry, people would not trumpet that. It would be another example of the party's incompetence however many years in the making. Just so happens that the GOP has to take the heat on the economy this time.

12. old_tony

Well, please lay this economy at the feel of the GOP. I'll be happy with a growing economy, record stock prices, record-low unempoloyment, lower taxes with revenues pouring into the treasury. Yeah, sorry we've saddled you with this. Maybe you'd prefer the recession that Clinton handed off to Bush.

Draft saved Draft deleted