1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So let's see: Dems in power for three days and now we've got ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tony, being a Republican has nothing to do with it. Most of us really like PDB, who's a Republican. I'm sure there's others that I can't think of right now because it's 1:30 a.m., but he's the first one that comes to mind. That's because he presents his views in a reasonable manner and wants an honest, thoughtful debate. Granted, you act that way toward me. But in your dealings with others, you come across as a troll.

That is all.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why do you still have that on car? Is it just to identify yourself as a Republican? How long do you leave it on? Until he's out of office? Or until you can replace it with (Insert Republican here) '08?

I ask purely out of curiosity, because I've never put any political stickers on my cars over the years.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And there wasn't an attack by radical Muslims on American soil for the last 7 years and 11 months of Clinton's presidency.

There was, of course, the Cole attack.

20 sailors died. Sad. Stunning.

Today, 20 soldiers dying is simply called "This week in Iraq" and it's called "just a number" by Tony Snow and it's buried in the back of the newspaper.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Neither have I. Frankly, I've always been of the opinion that a journalist -- even a sports journalist -- should maintain objectivity in public.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Lets' try this old_tony:

We are rapidly approaching the point where there will be more American casualties in Iraq than there were on Sept. 11, 2001. That is not to mention at least 150,000 Iraqis (probably closer to 300,000) who have been killed since we invaded their country and overthrew a secular, non-Muslim, non-al-Qaeda government.
    Since our invasion and occupation, the region has become far more destabilized, we have not established any lasting form of government in Iraq, we have not helped the Iraqi "leaders" provide basic necessities such as heat and running water and electricity to the poor people whose homeland we have savaged.
    Also in that time, al-Qaeda activity has increased, not decreased. We have given up any attempt to capture the wealthy Saudi who planned and executed the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks yet we still consider his home country, which enabled him and his merry band of terroists, to be our allies.
    So please, tell me exactly what our esteemed president has accomplished in his 6 years in office and his folly in Iraq, other than to overthrow a dictator who posed absolutely no threat to our security and, as was previosuly mentioned, was not allied with al-Qaeda in any way.

I'll hang up now and listen to your answer.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

How is it that no one has responded to old_tony's absurd posts by mentioning Osama bin Laden's taped message, released just before Election Day 2004, which was widely seen as an attempt to sway voters to re-elect Bush?

In "The One Percent Doctrine," Ron Suskind recounts how the news of that speech was received at CIA headquarters:

"At the five o'clock meeting, once various reports on latest threats were delivered, John McLaughlin opened the issue with the consensus view: 'Bin Laden certainly did a nice favor today for the President.'"

Al-Qaeda is going to issue threats and give bombastic speeches, regardless of who's in office. It will likely attack American interests, here and abroad, regardless of who's in office. I understand that, and I hope most people of both sides of the aisle understand that. Those who don't -- not only old_tony, but the even bigger cocksuckers who stuck "Bin Laden for Kerry '04" stickers on their bumper -- can rot in hell.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Doc, I'm working on it. You treat me with respect, and I return that in kind. People like dog and JR simply attack with things like "fucking moron" and "fucking idiot," or, a new one tonight, "the biggest asshole in the history of this board" for simply posting links to two stories and my take on them. And I'm supposed to debate with them civilly?

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Could you please reply to what spnited and boomer posted?

9. old_tony

Boom, my whole point was that bin Laden released his tape insulting Bush and making his threats pre-election in '04 and the result was that voters chose the GOP. bin Laden is no idiot. He saw what happened and Al Qaida waited this time around until after the election to release its tape.

They're threatening to bring down the White House, for crying out loud, and people still want to treat it as a criminal matter and not a war.

10. old_tony

Well, since Chuck asked me to ... Al Qaida is in Iraq. That is now where the front of the war on terror is. You can claim all you want about the decision to take out Saddam. Clinton talked big for six years and never did a real thing. Why is it that the left always respects the guy who talks tough and does nothing, but hates the guy who actually backs up the talk and does something about it?

That tape today came from the leader of Al Qaida IN IRAQ, not Afghanistan or Saudia Arabia or anywhere else.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

That does not answer my questioins... unless what you are saying is Bush's greatest accomplishment is strengthening al-Qaeda in Iraq... which is what he has done.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because "talking tough" got us through the Cuban missile crisis, the Cold War and got us out of many other spots.

"Doing something" only counts if it's the right thing.

If a doctor amputates the wrong leg, you don't applaud him for "doing something." You impeach him sue him for malpractice.

Draft saved Draft deleted