1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So let's say the threat is real

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boomer7, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Given the Department of Homeland Security's shaky record on such matters, it's understandable that more than a few people will roll their eyebrows at the latest reports of an increased threat from al Qaeda. But today's story about the National Intelligence Estimate makes it seem like there's something more serious than most previous instances. So, for the sake of argument, let's say that the NIE is right (yes, I know it's been wrong before, especially when it's rushed) and that al Qaeda has regained the power that it had in the summer of 2001. What happens next, especially if there is an attack?

Do we launch a full-scale invasion of the lawless tribal lands on the Afghan-Pakistani border, since that's where al Qaeda's new base/sanctuary is? In doing so, we'd likely doom the Musharraf regime, which would leave a power vacuum that would likely be filled by folks far, far worse than Musharraf (and believe me, I'm not a fan of Musharraf), perhaps leading to an Islamist government that would love to put the work of A.Q. Khan to good use.

Or do we back off for the reasons we've backed off in the past -- namely, that the region in question is so hostile and geographically vexing that a foreign power would have little hope of meeting its objectives? Of course, if we do that, we allow al Qaeda's nerve center to flourish indefinitely.

This is the dilemma that has hung over the War on Terror since 9/11. We can argue all day about Iraq and how it's diverted resources and attention from the real jihadist threat (and exacerbated that threat), but once the bickering stops, the question remains: What the hell do we do with Pakistan?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Musharraff is doomed. The guy is alienating his power base so badly anymore, he makes Bush look popular here. The extremists don't like him, and the moderates who he should court he tries to rule with an iron fist. He's done sooner than later, so at this point appeasing him is a bad idea.

Besides that, his deal with the lawless region pretty much was awful, and lets many of us question whether he's really with us, and if you're not with us, you're against us or so I've heard. Politically he's useless, he's undemocratic, and his strength is meager. We should pro-actively go after terrorists in that region with no abandon.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Honestly, I didn't know there was a new threat. Does anyone have any links? I have been covering track and field all day, every day recently and haven't caught the news in a while.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That's my sense, too, despite the fact that such an operation has the potential to be far more costly than Iraq. But unlike Iraq, this one would be a war of necessity.

Angola, the story is on the front page of msnbc.com. The basic gist is that intelligence sources are saying that al Qaeda is basically as strong as it was in the summer of '01, and that news, combined with increased chatter and a more brazen PR campaign by Zawahiri, has raised concerns that something big is in the works.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

What threat? The phantom specter that always seems to appear when Bush needs a boost in the polls?

Sorry, but this group's prediction accuracy is much lower than any weatherman or ESPN "expert." Yep. That low. And this group's stomach to actually go after bad guys, rather than create them, is even lower. Not gonna buy it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Everything is fine as long as Bush is in charge.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Were this the case, wouldn't we be told of an impending nuclear war with North Korea by now?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well, now we know what the W. in George W. Bush stands for.

[​IMG]

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AP is reporting an intelligence department report states al Queda is back to pre-9/11 strength and operational capability.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thank you to both Boomer7 and Inky_Wretch. Looks like I have some news stories to read tonight.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But I thought we were fighting them there so we wouldn't have to fight them here.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've got a brilliant plan. Let's invade Iran and embroil that country in chaos. Then Al-Qaeda, which has little presence there, if any, right now, can roll in and establish more training bases, thus clearing out their bases in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the ones they established in Iraq thanks to our well-thought out invasion there. I mean, shit, since we took our eye off the ball in Afghanistan, they and the Taliban are virulent as ever ... empty them into Iran.

It can't fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.