1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Jemele Hill got suspended from ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'll agree. But in fairness, her alarming error in judgment shows she deserves a job at this level just as much, so maybe somebody at ESPN had a moment of clarity.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe she was suspended for more than just the words she used. Somebody posted a link to her blog on the other thread. There is an entry addressing the suspension. The tone is confrontational at best and makes it obvious that she does not mean a word of the apology that ESPN released for her. Perhaps her response upon being confronted by management also helped earn her a little vacation.

Personally, I think the words were enough to merit a suspension, but I think the initial response might have been just to take out the offending words and ask her to be more careful. If she took the same confrontational tone with her superiors at ESPN as she has taken on her blog, maybe somebody decided that it would take a suspension to get through to her.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1872388/

4. outofplace

Point taken. I had forgotten about your post on the other thread.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Where were her copy editors. That line should have been a red flag to make someone at least double check with a superior.
    I do agree with the earlier post about her being a hypocrite.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fine ... send that Hitler memo to daily.kos.

7. outofplace

That part was debated quite a bit on the Journalism Topics Only thread, which has now been locked. Any copy editor who read that story does deserve some blame as well for letting that go through.

Just be careful to keep spelling hypocrite correctly or Hill will make fun of you on her blog.

8. Simon_Cowbell

We don't know if a copy editor deserves any blame in this.

I would guess, probably not.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How so?

10. Simon_Cowbell

If I were copy editing it, I would have hit that reference and called Hill, depending on her reputation.

If she is known as fractious, I would have broached it with her supervisor, bypassing her.

Supervisor probably would have told me. She's edgy. We LIKE edgy. Leave it.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's certainly a brave way to go about doing your job.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You read the daily Kos? Why? And why would you care what's on there anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.