1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I've been restructured ... shit...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I was last on unemployment, I'd have to make above a certain amount before it cut into my benefit check. When I was on it back in 2003, that amount was $90 in a given week.

Of course, that could have changed since then.

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Best of luck getting back on your feet.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

God, I'm glad I've never had to say that. I can't even say how fortunate I've been. Thank God.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you ask me the only career you can be pretty confident will never start laying people off is being a prison guard. I actually looked into it once, but the pay is such crap, the hours crap and most of the locations aren't very good. Kind of like journalism.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention getting shanked.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Been restructured. You have sympathies. and remember, since it sounds like your good with the editor, make yourself available for other opps -- like filling in on vacation or news side...

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the support on here and the people who sent me PMs. It definitely says a lot about why this place is so great.
    Thanks Killick and F_T for helping with the unemployment question. The idea of having to manage it so I don't earn too much seems very odd to me...
    I'm just trying to look at it like anything is possible right now, so I've just got to have faith that the future is bright.
    Thanks again to all of you!

7. Keep on keeping on, as we used to say.
    Best wishes and keep posting, so we know.

8. amraeder

Thanks F_B. A thought: Those who have been unemployed before, what did you do for insurance (health/dental)?

9. See what your COBRA status is.
    And write Nancy Kassebaum a thank-you note.

10. amraeder

Will do. I'm pretty sure I can get COBRA. I'm just worried it will cost me a fortune.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And don't even get me started on the parent calls.
    Mom: Why did you put my son in the hole?
    You: Well, he stabbed a guy 36 times with a toothbrush, ma'am.
    Mom: My boy would never do that! How dare you!
    You: Ummmm, Mrs. Johnson, you are aware that Billy killed 36 people, right?
    Mom: That was never proven. He was railroaded.
    You: Hung 'em on meathooks in his basement and played tetherball with their rotting corpses? He was caught in the basement, covered in blood and playing a game of naked corpse tetherball. After he stabbed this guy today, he brushed his teeth with the toothbrush he stabbed him with. In the chow line.
    Mom: You're not encouraging him enough. If you'd just let him out once in a while, it would mean so much to him.
    You: Thank you for calling.

12. amraeder

And the jailbirds in cellblock D try just as hard as those in cellblock C, but all you care about are the people in C...

Draft saved Draft deleted