1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So It IS like Vietnam, After All.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 22, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Better tell Rep. James Clyburn that. The Democrat from South Carolina recently said this when talking about if the report from Patraeus in September comes back with positive news:
    “I think there would be enough support in that group to want to stay the course and if the Republicans were to stay united as they have been, then it would be a problem for us. We, by and large, would be wise to wait on the report.”

Here's the Washington Post story link:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/30/AR2007073001380.html

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It didn't seem so important to be there when Bush had his chance too. I know I've made clear I'm not a fan of Bush, the guy can't even get immigration right, but I'm completely fed up. He is one of the biggest pieces of shit individuals in the public square.

He's heartless, gutless, and a complete phoney of a Christian. His eight-year reign is one of the lowmarks of this country and I hope generations remember just what a scumbag human being he really is. I'm not even talking as a bad president. He's a bad person.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

So much misplaced hatred.

You aren't going to win, boy-o. You've been losing for eight years and you're too knuckleheaded to realize it. That is our tragedy, not just yours.

4. old_tony

Just another lefty hoping the US loses.

In case you missed your own guy from SC saying it, here's the link again:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/30/AR2007073001380.html

Clyburn noted that Petraeus carries significant weight among the 47 members of the Blue Dog caucus in the House, a group of moderate to conservative Democrats. Without their support, he said, Democratic leaders would find it virtually impossible to pass legislation setting a timetable for withdrawal.

"I think there would be enough support in that group to want to stay the course and if the Republicans were to stay united as they have been, then it would be a problem for us," Clyburn said. "We, by and large, would be wise to wait on the report."

Many Democrats have anticipated that, at best, Petraeus and U.S. ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker would present a mixed analysis of the success of the current troop surge strategy, given continued violence in Baghdad. But of late there have been signs that the commander of U.S. forces might be preparing something more generally positive. Clyburn said that would be "a real big problem for us."

Good news for the US would be "a real big problem for" the Democrats. How much clearer can it be?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Win what?

6. old_tony

If you don't know what's at stake in Iraq, then you might want to avoid these threads that are too complicated for you. Good try at obfuscating the democrat's remarks, though.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Seriously. What's the US objective in the "War on Terror?"

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Living in the Great American South, I am well-accustomed (as a minority voter) to those buzzwords -- "hoping we lose," "not with us," "un-American" and all those other generalized black-white terms. Come to think of it, the political dichotomy has replaced the racial one in this region.

You are a liar and a fool, tony.

I have said it before on this stinking board and I'll say it again: since 2001, the U.S. has commanded exactly one square mile of ground in Afghanistan, supposedly one of the great breeding grounds of the killers of hondo's family.

One square mile, seven years.

The poppies are back in bloom, the burqas are being refitted, exeunt.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Great foreign policy history from tony here. I didn't realize LBJ wanted to lose Vietnam. ::)

10. old_tony

Well, he certainly ran the war like he wanted to lose it, didn't he?

11. old_tony

Basically, kill the terrorists before they kill us. And allow the Iraqis to set up their own democratic government. With news coming of late that the surge is taking hold, I can see the fear in the posts of the left.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is that new government going to start cooperating with each other after their month long vacation? Because it's hard work keeping gridlock and distrust going. Perhaps the month away gives them time to strengthen their militias that keep going after our troops that are protecting their sorry asses too.

Draft saved Draft deleted