1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So It IS like Vietnam, After All.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 22, 2007.

1. It is not possible for one man to contain this much stupid.

It's WWII! It's WWIV! It's Korea! It's Vietnam! It's a floor wax! It's a dessert topping!
  2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I saw this last night. S-M-R-T.
  3. Just to be a cynical ass...

Does Bush really think most Americans care that deeply about people in a foreign country dying? I don't know. I just don't see this as a politically winning argument.

If you told the American people that thousands of Iraqis (or Vietnamese) will die if we leave, but we'll save hundreds of American lives, I think a majority of Americans would be OK with that.

Just look at the coverage of Hurricane Dean. If it makes landfall 10 miles above the US-Mexican border, it's a disaster!!! But if it hits Mexico, then, hey, that's a shame.
  4. American, 100,000 Others Die In Quake.
  5. Flash

Flash Guest

This just in ... 14 soldiers die in Blackhawk crash ...
  6. Exactly. Does anybody remember that HBO show "Not Necessarily the News"?

They had a fake newscast where the anchor lady says, "200 people died in a plane crash yesterday. But don't worry. There were no Americans."

To get back on point, I do think we should care about the possibility of thousands of Iraqis dying when we leave, and we should do everything we can to minimize that. But...how come none of the Republicans who make this argument seem to care about the thousands that are dying RIGHT NOW by us being there. There have been, what, maybe 100,000 Iraqi civilians killed and another 2 million displaced. Why do backers of the war only care about the fate of Iraqi civilians after we leave. Why don't they care about them while we're there?

Rant over.
  7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

To be fair, we weren't supposed to care about them before we invaded, either.

There's a certain logic there...
  8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bush plays off the premise that if we leave, more Americans will die, and here on the home soil, because we will have let the terrorists run amok in their Iraqi playground. Playing off the fear of Joe and Susie America dying in a horrific 9-11 like incident has been his consistent calling card, and really it's his only card left.
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Of course, there were no terrorists running amok in Iraq until after we invaded
  10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

We're fighting them there so we don't fight them here. Except when the NIE says that they're coming here anyway. Then we're fighting for something else.
  11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We're fighting EurAsia.

We've always been fighting EurAsia.
  12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I blame soccer.
Draft saved Draft deleted