1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So is Saban worth $100m?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Saban will stay at Alabama until he retires from coaching, then become an athletic director. He's already done the NFL thing, so probably has no desire to go down that road again.

And, really, is there a better college football program out there right now? If he went someplace else, it would take several years to build what he already has today.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Interesting line of discussion. USA Today has a sortable set of figures on this. Not sure how old the number are - couldn't find a "last updated" date on there - but the schools that take no funding from the school, student fees or the state are Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, Penn State, Nebraska and Purdue. Purdue and Penn State are shown to be operating at deficits on the list. Alabama gets $5.7 million from those sources (which the survey refers to as a subsidy), and the Bama athletic department operated with a $27 million surplus for whatever time period it was.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

I also remember Georgia's athletic department making a donation to the school's general fund in 2009 or 2010, when state budget cuts were forcing higher education institutions to cut academic programs. I'm sure there were other schools where this happened. It got washed over in news coverage because it was about the same time Damon Evans was immolating his career.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No way Saban becomes an AD. He'll go to the lake when he's done coaching, if he doesn't drop dead first.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Of course, it would be nice if schools actually held their coaches to their contracts ....

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Regarding the impact of onfield success and applications, sociologists and cultural geographers have long held that such correlation is dubious via research. It's called "The Flutie Effect," and last I read/studied the correlation between the two is not supported.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see Saban ever taking a AD job, even a dual role where he's more of a figurehead. There's no reason for it.

The only way he leaves Alabama is if he still needs to scratch the NFL itch. I don't think he does, but if the right job opened, who knows?

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I don't think Saban would have enough power on an NFL team to satisfy him

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

For a guy who thought it was a good idea to attempt that field goal at the end of the Auburn game? I wouldn't go a penny over $97 million.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree, unless a team is stupid enough to give him absolute power. I would think unless he was willing to go to a team like the Browns, he would never get that in the NFL.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Football success creates a shitload of t-shirt alums, but there's no independent study that proves it creates more actual alums.

11. I tend to agree, but man they tout that stuff.
    I think it's horseshit to justify athletic spending ... I really don't know/knew many college students who went to a school because they had a kick-ass football team.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm not saying there's no tail-wags-dog going on here. I'm just saying that this is marketing 101. Alabama's football program has probably never been more visible than it is right now, and it's the most visible thing the university does, by far. I'd submit that that visibility contributes to enrollment growth.

Draft saved Draft deleted