1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So is Saban worth $100m?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Would anyone doubt that Saban is Finebaum's source?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know that Saban would be that candid about money with anyone outside his inner circle, even off the record. I'm guessing it was Jimmy Sexton, Saban's agent.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That's an even better call.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My guesses would be Sexton or a Texas booster.

Knowing Sexton's relationship with many members of the media, he's the safe bet.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hell yes, I'd doubt it.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago someone ran a breakdown on the difference in school-wide revenue pre-Saban and since he's been there. IIRC, he was way underpaid by Bama.

7. Steak Snabler

The last line of that column is gold:

Think Finebaum has time to change the title of his book?

8. Steak Snabler

Yeah, among other things their enrollment is up about 25 percent since Saban got there, and it's not entirely a coincidence.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Well, thoughts about Finebaum aside, there are few journalists with the credibility of Gene Wojochiechowski.

Chip Brown is a great reporter. He's also in the back pocket of the Texas athletic department. Who wants to kill this story as quickly as possible? The Texas athletic department. I'm guessing they don't want people reminded that the guy they hired was everyone's ninth choice.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sexton is the master of using the media to hype his clients.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I could see this with Austin. Some schools that are football factories (Texas and Michigan come to mind) want you to win but to try and do it with some level of restraint. SEC schools don't give a damn. Spend whatever you want and win win win.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But you're extrapolating to theorize that if Generic State U paid Saban a bunch of money to hire him away from Alabama, the same results would follow. I don't believe that.

Draft saved Draft deleted