1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So is Saban worth $100m?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Paul Finebaum has a new book out on August 5th. The splash story around here is his reporting on what Texas offered Nick Saban.

"Texas was dead serious about trying to money-whip Saban," Finebaum and Wojchiechowski write. "Depending on whom you talk to -- Bama big hitters or Texas big hitters -- the Longhorns were prepared to give Saban somewhere between a $12 and $15 million signing bonus and a salary package worth $100 million (plus performances)."

Saban just signed a contract that pays him $6.9m/yr plus incentives.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/texas_offered_nick_saban_100_m.html#incart_most-comments

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Amateur athletics.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If a coach can turn a .500 program, but one that has a rich tradition, around in two seasons and win three National Titles in eight seasons, he's probably worth 200 million.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For all the money Saban makes , he is still underpaid.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is he worth $100 million? Hell, no. Would someone be dope enough to give it to him? Wouldn't surprise me.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the hubbub about Nick Marshall and pot and people giving Malzahn a bad time for not declaring him out of the season opener vs. Arkansas. The sad fact is, SEC football isn't about teaching moments anymore. It's about cash money. Less than an ounce of weed? That's a ticket. And yet Auburn is expected by some to sit Marshall, potentially cost Auburn a shot at the BCS in the first week of the season, costing the athletic department money it needs to fund other sports, pay salaries etc.
    Yeah, it might be a good life-lesson for Marshall, but the money is too big now to care about giving athletes life-lessons and the risk of dollars. Not saying its right or good....

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wish someone would money-whip me.
    Hell, I'd even go to Texas for that. And like it.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Hey, just make sure it's a misdemeanor. We can spin that and start you Saturday."

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think those who think Nick Marshall should be punished think it's less about being caught with 9 grams of weed than about the fact he was already kicked out of an SEC school (Georgia) for stealing from his teammates.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I could buy that he's worth $10 million a year.

There is so much distance between Saban and the next best college coach (probably Meyer) that it's not even funny. After those two, there is a huge drop before you get to the next tier.

We are talking about a guy, who realistically, is probably the best college coach of all-time. I'd take him over Bryant, Bowden, Paterno or any of the coaches considered all-time greats.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If he coaches for a thousand years, sure.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Mike DuBose.

Mike Shula.

Those two names insure that Nick Saban is worth $100 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted