1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So is McClatchy about to drop the hammer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jun 14, 2008.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Best of luck, Bama.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hang in there, Bama.

Every fucking Monday in this business is worse than the last.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Good luck Bama. At least you've got the right attitude about it, if nothing else.

SC - yikes. Wonder how that will change things.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, they outsourced their printing to the Press-Tribune? That's crazy. I guess buying that new press a couple of years ago paid off for the Nampa paper.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Apparently Nampa has to upgrade something else prior to getting the Statesman's business, per the release.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm used to hearing about layoffs hitting those that have been there for years, the more experienced journalists.
    Reading Bama's post shows, it looks like everyone is going to be affected.

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

That's the thing that startles me, too. Everyone it seems is fair game now.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know that feels a little better to some of us, that newsroom isn't the only place getting the ax. But this cut, cut, cutting of the product/process is not going to save the industry. Gary Pruitt needs to forego all bonuses and cut his compensation in half, maybe two-thirds. Same with his lieutenants. Shedding IT people is no way to embrace the future and production matters, too. Finance? Hell, anyone can wield a red pencil, right?

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Bama, The very best of luck to you. I've got a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that a bunch of us might be joining you before the year's out. It's a scary prospect.

10. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver New Member

At my shop 35 got laid off, seven from the newsroom including me.

The people shown the door were mostly recent hires (like me), but there were some veterans in the meeting as well. One photog had over 20 years with the paper.

Since I started there about 20 months ago, at least 15 people left the newsroom and were not replaced, and now seven more. Staffing was already bare bones and the quality of the product has suffered noticeably. I can't imagine what's going to happen now.

Another banner day in the business.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

damn. good luck whiskey and bama.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good luck to those feeling the pain today.

It used to be, the business was better than most of us in it, and we were lucky if we had a shot to live up to its standards. Now most of us are better than this dying business, and we're lucky if we can grab an oar in a lifeboat, rather than going down with the miserable wreck.

Only problem with this seasick metaphor is that our captains don't go down with the ships. They get airlifted out by helicopter, with bundles of cash strapped under their life vests.

Draft saved Draft deleted